Update On Seniors’ Post Graduation Process

Students Share Their Journey

Marin Stopkoski, Reporter

Morgan’s class of 2023 has a variety of plans for the future. In the beginning of the school year, the school counseling department got a response from 80 out of 154 senior students. 78.7% of the student responses planned on attending a 4-year college; 7.2% plan on a 2 year college; 5% plan on a technical school or enlisting in the military, while 8.8% were unsure of their further plans. 

Many students are at different steps of the decision process, but those applying to college are at various points in the application process. Some have just begun completing the tedious questions while others haven’t even begun. According to PrepScholar, “most schools will require you to submit applications for early action or early decision by November of 12th grade (senior year). To meet a regular decision deadline, you’d apply a few months later in January or February.” Most students use the well known portal Common App. Each year more than one million students use Common App to access 1,000 plus institutions’ applications. 

Seniors Katie Martin, and James Nguyen share a similar experience when applying to college through Common App. Katie and James have always had a desire to be in the medical field. This made it easy right from the beginning to choose an intended major. They used Common App to submit most of their applications, but they have a couple more to finish. Katie Martin said that the process was tedious and long. The desire to have the application as perfect as it could be was weighing on Katie’s shoulders. But in the end, the support from family and staff here at Morgan made it easier. On the other hand, James Nguyen expressed how “the application process was easy, but boring.” No student has the same exact journey. 

Some students completed the process and have officially chosen their future school. Seniors Emily Smith and Rachel Hromadka are in this stage. They both are participating in sports while in college, which made the process a little easier and faster. Emily is playing women’s soccer at Western New England University. Emily completed everything directly through Western New England’s website and was able to bypass the typical college essay and test scores because she’s joining athletics. Rachel Hromadka will be on the cheerleading team at Nichols College. This process was more traditional. Rachel reached out to the cheerleading coach who recruited her. 

Some students have had major changes in the way they look at their future. In the past months, Senior Alissa Supik has done some rethinking of her interest and what she wants her future to look like. Since Alissa was 3 years old she’s always had the dream of being an orthodontist or dentist. But with some rethinking, she plans on majoring in marketing. She shared that this allows her to be more creative. 

It’s important to remember that there is no perfect way to complete this process. The Morgans School counseling department is always here for support and questions.