Movie Review: La Vie d’Adèle

Blue is the Warmest Color

Can Yucel, Editor/Writer

La Vie d’Adèle (Abdellatif Kechiche)

The movie focuses on a 17-years-old girl, Adèle, trying to figure out herself. Her friends make her date the boys, but that is not what she’s looking for because Adèle is still not sure about herself. Then one of her gay friend takes her to a gay bar, and she meets with a woman with blue hair. Adèle is impressed by that woman and fantasizes about her everyday. Then she meets her in a different bar coincidentally. Adèle finds out that she’s an art student who is about to graduate. They start to see each other and eventually a connection between them appears. 

The main goal of Abdellatif Kechiche (creator and director of the movie) is to create an awareness to gay-lesbian genre. He created this romantic-drama movie to inspire young people who are struggling about their sexual orientation and to encourage them to accept their personalities. 

Personal Notes: Except romance, the movie shows the liberation moves in France that opposes discrimination of minorities. I think that was a perfect addition to the movie because it was a controversial time for France when the movie was made. And other than other LGBT movies, this movie shows accurately how normal it is to be different without exaggeration. The movie is so fluent and accessible. There are some sex scenes and obvious nudity in the movie but it is not overdone.

This movie is important for cinema history. Because in 2013, the movie foresaw today’s social issues over identities. In addition to that, Abdellatif Kechiche allows the audience to  feel those issues instead of telling them directly. This is important because it makes the viewer think and at the end you’d have an idea about those issues. One other important thing about the movie is it’s the first of its kind and afterwards lots of movies made about that issue, but none of them were as strong as La Vie d’Adele.

Where to Watch?

On Amazon Prime (free with online subscription)

Vudu 2.99$

Apple TV 3.99$

Warnings

Sex&Nudity, Profanity, Alcohol,Drugs&Smoking, Frightening&Intense Scenes, Violence&Gore

Trailer- La Vie d’Adele