US Student Protests Against Israel

Encampments, Demands
Anadolu Agency
Colombia University Students Scream Outside of President’s House

The escalating genocide in Palestine has reached many ears of people throughout the world. Protests, boycotts, arrests, and any help to the freedom and recognition of Palestine are only getting louder. Undergraduates, professors, and civilians are shouting for the end of this disgusting reign of colonialism and corruption.
Although it could be argued that most of these tactics are futile, people are unable to ignore the silence on the Palestinian genocide. The most influential act of protest is caring, which has been taking news headlines globally. Many students or undergraduates are criticizing universities complicit in the genocide of Palestinians through their investments in specific companies and businesses that directly fund the Israeli military’s supply or government. There is no excuse to confide in businesses that condone these events without shame or accountability.
Several universities allowed the encampment on school grounds after a prolonged process of compromise. There are other demands from students that universities met, although it is unclear whether these are permanent changes due to true open-mindedness or a temporary move to halt the protests.
Common demands of students in America:

CT Encampment Protests, UConn and Wesleyan University (Vivian Nguyen)

Students agreed to close their encampments on public property after shaking on a deal with the schools. However, this was not always the case, and many problems arose, from vandalism to violence from large protests. Thousands of students were arrested throughout these protests, which are not always lawfully justified. Universities like Wesleyan in Connecticut and Berkeley in California allowed the encampments, angering many people who believed the protesters were violating the law and disrupting others.
Future students at many universities or colleges involved in these controversies are rescinding their acceptances into the college, creating distrust within the community regarding corruption and lack of transparency. Take Columbia University in New York City, New York, for example. The school canceled its main commencement ceremony due to the protests because they believed they presented an escalating danger to others and school property. They are not the only school that has taken these measures. They instead decided to hold smaller ceremonies, and it caused a massive uproar of dissatisfied and disappointed undergraduates. The graduating class also happens to be the same class that never got their high school graduation due to COVID-19 and quarantine. Additionally, Columbia University stated they would not be divesting their endowment fund from companies linked to Israel.

Articles that analyze in depth university/protesters demands and named universities:
Pro-Palestine protests: How some universities reached deals with students By Al Jazeera, May 7, 2024
Mapping pro-Palestine college campus protests around the world By AJLabs, May 2, 2024
‘Divest from Israel’: Decoding the Gaza protest call shaking US campuses By Al Jazeera, April 30, 2024
Punched, choked, kicked: German police crack down on student protests By Ruairi Casey, May 25, 2024
Other recent news regarding U.S. actions on Israel-Palestine conflict:
Trump promises crackdown on pro-Palestinian protests if elected By Al Jazeera, May 28, 2024
No surprise’: US students slam Biden’s comments on Gaza encampments By Jillian Kestler-D’Amours and Ali Harb, May 2, 2024
After massacre in Gaza’s Rafah, advocates ask: Where is Biden’s red line? By Ali Harb, May 28, 2024
Nikki Haley writes ‘finish them’ on IDF artillery shells during Israel visit By Robert Tait, May 28, 2024