Morgan’s Masterpieces and The Genius Behind Them

Knitting, and Painting
Knitting, and Painting

Written by Madison Heidkamp & Ben Jackson|

The Morgan School is home to many creative artistic students who are allowed to freely express themselves in Art teacher Mrs. Neri’s room.  Mrs. Neri is one of the kindest, well spoken, creative teachers that I have ever had the privilege to have. Not only does she come up with extremely fun projects that require thought and skill, but students can put little pieces of themselves into

Byron working hard
Byron working hard

anything they may create.

Mrs. Neri described the qualities of a good art student: “someone who is receptive to learning things that they do not yet know, is open to constructive criticism and also takes time and values doing a good job.” Taking time and putting effort into projects is extremely important in art and in real life situations. Mrs. Neri comes up with several fun projects. Some of those include cutting a strip of a magazine out and finishing the image with paint. Another project requires the painting of still life and creating real life images such as the fruit image below. For more pictures of projects created in Mrs. Neri’s classes click here.

If Mrs. Neri was not involved in art at Morgan, she would want to be ” a world Class jewelry designer”. Mrs. Neri even managed to connect with Tracy Brent Collections in Guilford CT. She is now making jewelry for that store along with being our art teacher here at The Morgan School.

Prescription Drugs, Ex-Lax
Prescription Drugs, Ex-Lax

Mrs. Neri takes pride in her art. She enjoys helping the students that work hard in her class. If kids come into Morgan and are under the impression that they are going to take art because it is “easy”, they have never been more wrong. Mrs. Neri’s art class is for students willing to work just as hard as a student would in any academic class here at The Morgan School.

Mrs. Neri takes the time to customize every project to something students will truly enjoy. When asked about her favorite project,  she said it is “recreating a miniature room whether it is uninviting or inviting.” When walking around the art room looking at these miniature rooms, the passion and thought that the students put into these tiny rooms is truly inspiring.

Fruit
Fruit

Taking Mrs. Neri’s art classes would truly be a smart and exciting experience for any student willing to work hard to be creative here at The Morgan School.

• C

charlottelimosaniNov 10, 2014 at 8:18 am

This is an awesome article! I know how great Mrs. Neri is and this article really does her justice. She is a very interesting person and has many unique things that she does. She is a great art teacher, as well as an artist and this article is able to inform everyone of how cool she is. I cannot wait to have two classes with her again this year.

• J

jensengarciaNov 6, 2014 at 1:59 pm

This article is nice. I don’t know Mrs. Neri very well, but I will have her later this year. I can’t wait to have her. It is an interesting topic, and I love the artwork!

• M

mmcdermott2014Nov 6, 2014 at 1:48 pm

I took intro to art last year, and it’s been one of my favorite classes so far. Hopefully this will inspire other students to take art classes with Mrs. Neri!

• S

sophiaromanNov 6, 2014 at 1:44 pm

This article encouraged me to look into taking more art classes with Ms. Neri. I think it’s cool that if she did not become an art teacher she would want to be a world class jewelery designer.

• M

mikaelagaudetNov 6, 2014 at 1:33 pm

This article is very interesting and its cool to see everyones artwork! You did a great job gathering information about Mrs. Neri too!

• J

jordanledyardNov 6, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I really liked all of the information on Mrs. Neri! I do not know her very well and have not considered taking her class but this article makes it seem really cool and i am interested in considering taking her class to become more creative as it seems that is what happens in her art class