Meet Ms. Martino

Ms. Martino’s room

Written by Karla Rivadeneira |
    Pictures by Karla Rivadeneira |

We are lucky to have an extensive World Language program at Morgan. Students have the opportunity to choose from three languages: Spanish, French, and Chinese. This year we welcomed French-Spanish teacher Laura Martino to the World Language Department.

Ms. Martino has been a teacher for the past 17 years. She has taught all levels of language in elementary, middle and high school. At Morgan, she teaches Spanish I, French II, French III, and French IV. 

She has lived in France, Cameroon, Brazil, Panama, Costa Rica where she has been able to practice her Spanish and French.

Ms. MartinoGet to know Ms. Martino and how Morgan has been treating her:

How has your experience at Morgan been so far?

“It’s been a very positive experience. Students have been really supportive and thoughtful. Teachers have been interesting to work with and helpful”.

Do you have any plans for a field trip to Canada?

“This year, we aren’t taking any field trips through the high school to Canada. It is something that the new superintendent had decided for this year, and I think it is because of the new school. But we are taking a field trip next month to the Hillstead Museum in Farmington, CT to see French Impressionist Art”.

How was the transition from teaching elementary Spanish in Guilford to teaching Spanish and French at a high school?

“Well, I have done it before. It’s been great. It’s definitely a lot of work and a lot of preparation to do. Everything is new. In terms of enjoyment, I thoroughly enjoy working with the students and the material. I’m just really jazzed about it”.

What Do You Like About Morgan?

“When I interviewed for the job, I remember the principal saying it’s really about the students… People are concerned about you as a person. If you’re feeling good and keeping things balanced the job goes really well. The case here at Morgan is that everyone cares about each person and their well-being.”

Where Did You Teach Before?

“For the last 10 years, I was a teacher at the elementary school in Guilford. I taught elementary Spanish first through fourth grade, which was fabulous. Before that, I worked at the middle school in Old Saybrook where I taught eighth grade French and Spanish. In my younger years, I taught French and Spanish at Hale-Ray.”

Junior Brett Martin takes French 4 honors. His favorite part of the class is using the websites that Ms. Martino sets up through her Google Classroom to enhance their French. Brett had only positive things about her, “She’s nice and really into her job and teaching the language. Plus, she has a ton of experience so she’s definitely qualified.”

Junior Sam Mena takes French 4 college prep. Her favorite part of the class is that it is “very interactive. She is eager to teach the class and is a great teacher.” Sam likes how everything is online because they watch videos, Quizlet and are able to access the textbook.

Ms. Martino is a wonderful person and deserves to be a teacher here at Morgan.