Ellington Invitational Track Meet

Huskies’ Stats from Track Meet: Saturday, April 27th
Julia White
Morgan Track Coaches before running the Coaches Mile

On April 27th, the Morgan Track team attended Ellington Relays, at Ellington High School. 33 schools, including Morgan, attended the meet. Class MM, M, and S schools attended. Class MM is a school that is bigger than an M school, which is medium, but smaller than an L school, which is large. A class S school is a small school. The Morgan Girls track team is class S, but the Morgan boys track team is class M. This is because there are more boys than girls at Morgan. Because there were larger schools at the meet, the competition was fierce. 

In track and field, personal scores of each athlete are added together to create the team score, which is then put up against the total team scores of other teams. If an athlete gets first place in any event, they earn 10 points for their team. If an athlete gets second place, they earn 8 points. 6 points are earned for third place, 5 for fourth, 4 for fifth, 3 for sixth, 2 for seventh, and 1 for eighth. 

The top sixth finishers in each event earn a medal, and the top three get to stand on a podium. For the men’s overall team scores, Rockville won with 136 points. For the Women overall team scores, Watertown won with 52.5 points. Both of the winner school are class MM schools, the biggest size that attended the meet. The Morgan boys team came in 17th place out of 28, with a score of 15. The Morgan girls team came in 20th place out of 30, with a score of 11. 

On the boys side, Micheal Fusco came in 4th place for the 200 meter race, earning 5 points for the team. Robby Estabrook came in 1st place for the Javelin throw, earning 10 points for the team. He also broke the meet record and the school record in this event. On the girls side, Addy Reed came in 4th place for the 1600 meter race, earning 5 points for the team. She also broke the school record for this event. Addy Reed also came in third place in the 3200 meter race, earning 6 points for the team. 

This track meet also had a unique race, that was not counted in the overall score of the meet. This race involved the coaches and alumni from all of the school. The race was one mile, which is 4 laps around the track. Both of the Morgan Track coaches, Jared Stevens and Courtney Carroll, participated. Everyone that participated in this race received a free t shirt. 

The Morgan Track team has another meet on Friday, May 10 at Old Saybrook High School. This meet is another big meet, called an invitational. There will be 30 teams at this meet