The Morgan Artist go to Chips Pub 3

Written by Abbigale Pitarra|

Owner of Chips Pub 3 Steven Sinni asked if the Morgan art department could arrange for students to use their talents to draw a mural (corresponding to the season)  on the chalkboard above the bar at the restaurant in Clinton. Art teacher Justin Sylvia claimed, “Chip’s had asked me to choose three of four students that have shown impressive artistic skill. I have many, many talented students, but the students that came to mind with both skill and drive to develop that skill were Senior Katie Kozak, Sophomore Kerryanne Longyear, and Sophomore Kaitlyn Tunney. Katie is currently applying to art colleges, and Kerryanne and Kaitlyn are co-leaders of the Art Club. They were all very excited when they heard that they could be a part of this.

Kaitlyn Tunney explained, “The art teacher approached us and asked if we would be interested. We are all in an art class, so that’s how he knew us.”

All three of the girls had a part to work on and a different piece of art to add to the mural. They could each choose their individual subject, but the theme was fall. They had 4 chalkboards on which to draw their art.  They all came to a conclusion that they wanted to do a cartoon piece and a realistic on each of the chalkboards. Mr. Sylvia and Kaitlyn worked on the realistic piece, and Kerryanne and Katie worked on the cartoon piece. The one that Mr. Sylvia did was an image pulled from the Chips Pub website. ” They came out pretty good, though it took a bit longer than expected. We had to go back a second time to finish it up.” said Kaitlyn Tunney.

They got the supplies from a mix of regular chalk from Chips and chalk markers that the art teacher bought for the project, though Chips reimbursed the cost of the chalk markers..Chips pub gave all of the people that worked on it a gift certificate as a thank you. At a total of 6 hours of work over two Saturday mornings, the four of us were able to finish our individual designs in time to show them off to the restaurant patrons.  Also, because the very bottom of the chalkboards was around 7 or 8 feet off the ground, we were all standing on ladders.” said Mr.Sylvia.

They want the boards decorated seasonally for winter, spring, summer, and fall. A different drawing every season will correspond to the decorations around it. Sophmore Kerryanne Longyear said, ” Overall it was an amazing experience, and I was very happy to be apart of it and see the outcome because we all worked very hard on it.”

Mr. Sylvia said, ” Being that the chalkboard art is seasonal, the designs and teams will be changed up every couple of months.  Right now it seems like Mrs. Leiss (the other Morgan Art Teacher) and I will be trading off as leaders each season.  We would like to use this article as an open invitation to any student that is interested in participating in this creative volunteer opportunity.  Please stop by the art room or email us at [email protected] or [email protected]