Choosing a College With No Knowledge

Written by Maggie LaCross|

It’s that time of year again. Every year in early spring seniors race to pick their dream school. Many have the opportunity to visit their college campus and take a tour, but some seniors are left to take a shot in the dark.

For the majority of students, it’s easy to take a day off and visit SCSU, UCONN, or other universities throughout Connecticut. Others don’t have it as easy, and struggle to find time to visit their top college campuses.

For those who don’t have the opportunity to visit their possible college’s campus, here are some tips for how to select the right college.

1. Visit the college’s website to get general information about the college. Many websites have a “Campus Life” portion of the website which gives an idea of what the campus is like.Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 12.49.26 PM
  2. If after looking at the website, you decide that you still like the campus, read reviews of the school. College Confidential gives ratings of different aspects of the school, like safety or overall friendliness. The website also provides reviews from people who actually went to the school. You can even take a virtual tour or look at photos of the school.
  3. If it still looks as if it could be the school for you, visit the campus through social media. Access Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook and search for your schools hashtag. It will allow you to see the posts of people who are currently attending the school and give you a better feel of what the school’s atmosphere is actually like. It is more accurate than looking at the school’s social media accounts because it won’t be as biased and will be more “raw” in a sense.
  4. The second best thing to you going to school there is one of your friends going to school there! If you know someone who is currently attending the university, call them and ask them questions about the school. If while reading reviews you read something concerning, ask them if it is true. You can even ask if they mind Skyping or Facetiming you to show you around the campus. Youniversitytv and Campus Tours both offer video tours and interactive maps for most colleges!

Good luck, Seniors!