The End of Float Building Brings On New Traditions

Written by Jessica Green |
Photos by Marie Kane and The PawPrint Staff |

Float building  has been a Morgan tradition since the late 1980’s.   It is not taking place anymore mainly because of the money.  The supplies for building the floats and  the trucks for transporting the floats were very expensive.  Float building was

homecoming parade nycalso not a very positive task for the Morgan faculty and sometimes even the students.  People were fighting about their jobs and other details.  Cleanup  was a hassle.

Alumni and science teacher Mrs. Whittel was not aware that float building is being discontinued.  She remembers float building as a great way for students to come together and have a good time. Mrs. Whittel spent hours on float building when she was a student at Morgan.  A memory she had was that she and her friends spent a very long time folding napkins so they looked like flowers.  The theme was Sesame Street.  

Journalist and alumni Allie Riviera also Allie Riverashad a memory involving float building.  She was in the basement of Morgan with her friends attempting to lift up and move a wired netting board. They couldn’t lift it because it was too heavy.  The Morgan football team saw them struggle and went over to help.  After the task was completed, they all high fived each other.  

Junior Alex Church participated in float building every year so far.  A memory of hers was when she had to build a house for the movie Up.  It wouldn’t fit through the door, so they had to take it all apart then put it back together using duct tape.  Alex feels as if Morgan won’t be the same without the tradition of float building.  Sophomore Nadine Khalifa also took part in float building.  She remembers her freshman year when pizza was delivered for the students one night, and everyone devoured it very quickly.  Senior Dan Green participated in float building his sophomore year.  Instead of the float building, he would like to do a dodge ball tournament. homecomingparadeconvertible

To replace the float building tradition, The Morgan School student council scheduled and planned many exciting activities and events that should please everyone.  On Tuesday October 6th from 7-9 pm Morgan will hold the first annual class vs. class volleyball tournament. A possible movie night would take place in the auditorium on October 7th.  Knockerball takes place at the Indian River Turf on Friday, October 9th starting at 8:30 pm after the girls soccer game.  On Saturday October 10th, events begin at 10:00 am at Peters Complex with Human Foosball and other team building games.   The Community wide BBQ (bring your own meat) is at Peters Complex at 12-1 pm.   Students will stay to support the football players at the game. Homecoming court will be announced at halftime.  The homecoming dance is at 7pm-10:30pm at The Morgan School.  

Mark your calenders and be sure to participate in all these fun and exciting events!