Book Chat Options: Summer 2014

Written by Maddi Roman |

It’s that time of year again. School is ending. Summer is taking over. Along with Summer comes summer reading, and there is an abundance of great options for the I Love This Book Morgan School summer reading program this year. Students have recently been assigned the books they are going to read this Summer.

Students entering 10th, 11th, and 12th grade have been given packets with a list of books and their summaries. These books have been selected by teachers who love them and want to share them with the students. Book chat conversations can be entertaining when all of the participants read the book.

Students selected three different books that appealed to them; the students organized their choices by order of preference. Students were then assigned one of the books for summer reading. The students will read the book they are assigned to by the beginning of the next school year. Non-honors students also must read a free choice book. Honors students will read additional books assigned by their future English teachers. Visit The Morgan School’s Summer Reading page for further details.

Mr. Serenbetz is the mastermind behind the entire “I love this book” program and organization. He solicits book chat leaders from all of the staff at The Morgan School. He formats the book titles and descriptions, creates the packet, and makes certain that all students are assigned a book from their top three I Love This Book choices.

The most popular book chat choices this year were After, Escape from Camp 14, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Give a Boy a Gun, Nineteen Minutes, Paper Towns, Reason to Breathe, Game of Thrones, and Tortilla Flat.

Student Erika Renkl commented on Beautiful Boy by David Sheff. Erika had the unique opportunity to read both Tweak and Beautiful Boy. She enjoyed Tweak more because it was mainly based on the son’s point of view. Beautiful Boy is based on a father’s point of view. Both books are great reads involving the struggles from hard core drug addiction.

One book Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer was assigned to me for Ms. Chausse’s Junior Honors English class of the years 2012-2013. The book is interesting because it is about a little boy’s experience after losing his father during the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

The I Love This Book assignments and summaries as well as the official Summer Reading Packet are posted on the Summer Reading 2014 page on The Morgan School website.