Senior Spotlight: Gavin Gersz

Three Sport Captain

Senior Gavin Gersz has made an impact at the Morgan school. Her senior year, she was captain of the cross-country team, the fencing team, and the tennis team.

While being a three season captain, she learned that being a leader is not easy. Gavin stated, ¨ being a leader takes a lot of guts.¨ She found that it is a big responsibility to have the underclassmen look up to her and how much of an impact she could have on her teammates.

Gavin has been doing cross-country for the past seven years. After being a member of the Eliot team for three years, she knew that she wanted to be a part of the Morgan team.

Out of all sports she is a part of at Morgan, she is most passionate about fencing. Gavin has been a member of the Morgan fencing team since her freshman year. She knew she wanted to do a winter sport, and her friend, 2023 alumni Muntara Singh, recommended fencing. Gavin said, ¨ I felt closer to the team and the coaches than I did with tennis or cross-country because the atmosphere was just always positive.¨ She said the coaches were always supportive and would push her to be the best of her ability.

Gavin was on the Morgan tennis team since freshman year. Her mom was a part of a tennis team when she was in high school. Growing up, she would go to the courts with her family and had a lot of fun. Gavin knew that she did not want to do track, and she had friends on the tennis team.

Gavin says that the most memorable part about Morgan was the impact everyone has given. She said,
¨ It’s always a positive environment and I know there are people who will push me to be the best I can be.¨

While her time at Morgan is coming to an end, she is going to miss the whole school gatherings. She said, ¨ the most I’ll miss is going to school with the same people I’ve been with for the last 13 years.¨ She recently realized that they will all be going their separate ways and that they won’t be with each other next year.

After high school, Gavin plans on attending the University of New Hampshire to pursue a career in speech language pathology. Both of Gavin’s parents work in school systems. She grew up seeing them work with students and knew that she wanted to work with kids. She was not interested in working fully in a classroom, and her mom told her about speech language pathology.

While in college, Gavin is hoping to travel and study abroad as much as possible.

Gavin’s advice to underclassmen is to live at the moment. She said, ¨ four years will pass by quicker than you think, and memories you make are the ones you want to hold onto, so make the most of them.¨