The Culture of Swim Teams

From the Eyes of a Swimmer

My name is Davis Walker. I swim for a club team in New Haven called Bulldog Swimming. I have been swimming competitively since 2017 and highly recommend that others pursue the sport. Swimming is a great form of exercise, and being a part of a team is a fantastic way to make new friends and maintain relationships that will last a lifetime.

If you want to swim competitively, you can join a club or high school team. I joined a club team before I was in high school, and I never competed in high school swimming. On my team, club practices are more important than high school ones, and it is frowned upon if you participate in high school swimming. So, I stuck with competitive club swimming to fully focus on my swimming career and skills. If you are  passionate about swimming, then you should join a club team. If you want to participate in a high school sport, then I recommend that you join your high school’s team, if there is one. At Morgan, there used to be a co-op swim team with HK, but unfortunately, it does not exist anymore since no one participates in it.

Competing in high school swimming is more competitive and team-focused, however. If you want to focus on yourself and your personal goals, then a club team is the right choice. High school swim teams compete to win and beat other schools. On a club team, swimmers can focus more on improving their times and swimming faster at their competitions.