Senior Spotlight: Ava Schmidt

From the Field to the Stage
Ava playing lacrosse.

Senior Ava Schmidt has participated in many activities such as Morgan Volleyball, Lacrosse, the Morgan Musicals, and Botany Club.

Ava playing lacrosse.

Ava said, “I started playing lacrosse when I was in first grade. I got into it because my sister played, but soccer became more of her sport and lacrosse was more of my sport.” Ava said she stuck with lacrosse because she “really just loved it.” She said it was something that came naturally to her, but gave her room to grow and improve. She said, “when I’m at lacrosse, I never worry about anything. All the bad things disappear.”

Ava was recently named as one of the captains of the Morgan Lacrosse team. She shared that she is “so excited” to be captain. She is glad she can be a leader and help the underclassmen learn more about the sport and the team. She also said she has big plans for the team this year as she embraces her leadership role.

Ava at a lacrosse camp with Charlotte North.

Besides being a two sport athlete, Ava has found a passion for music and theater. She said, “I started singing in 3rd grade by joining chorus. However, when I was a kid, I really liked attention and performing. I liked to put on little shows.” After singing, she developed a passion for musical theater. She said what drew her in was the people. She said, “musical theater was a place you could go where these people you would not expect to see hanging out.” She believes the cast is like a family inside the musical. She said, “everyone cares for each other, regardless of popularity.”

This year Morgan will be putting on the production Curtains. Ava said, “I feel like it’s going to be very good because there are so many different characters and there are so many people to watch.” She also said it is a “really interesting show.” Ava will be playing one of the female leads named Niki. She said that she feels as if her role is perfect for her and “It kind of happens every year where I’m not sure about it at first, but I feel way more comfortable there.” She also said, “Niki is the perfect for me because she is easy going and keeps everyone on their toes.”

Ava as Meg in Morgan’s Production of “Damn Yankees.”

Ava has been a part of 6 musicals: Aladdin, The Wizard of Oz, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Little Shop of Horrors, Damn Yankees, and now Curtains. She said, “My favorite musical was Little Shop. Damn Yankees was really fun, but I love Little Shop.” She also said, “It was the big musical that got everyone to ban together and changed our program.”

As Ava prepares for her future, she said, “I want to study criminal justice and work for the FBI. I do not know where I want to go to school yet.” She also said, “I want to try to play lacrosse in college. Maybe at some point in the future become a lacrosse coach for Morgan and the youth team.”

Ava looks back on her past and memories she has made, but has great things planned for her future.