Senior Spotlight: Noelle Main

Artist, Musician, Scholar
Noelle Main
Noelle in Germany with a dog

Senior Noelle Main (they/them) is not only a scholarly student but a strong proponent of the arts. They have been involved in two National Honors Societies, one as vice president, four clubs, as well as 14 bands. They are also recognized as an incredible artist by the Morgan Community.

Pen and ink drawing (Noelle Main)

Noelle has always been interested in the arts. Their mom influenced their initial curiosity towards art. Noelle said, “She introduced me to painting first, at I want to say two or three years old, and ever since then, it’s been like, the path of creativity.” They spoke about how from an early age art has been a passion: “I’ve always found drawing things interesting,” they added.

At the moment, Noelle enjoys realism and “dabbles” in cartoonism. Their favorite media to use is anything involving pencils, such as graphite and colored pencils. They are trying to join the Art National Honor Society, but are already recognized as talented and gifted in art.

Puffin painting (Noelle Main)

Noelle is also heavily involved in music. They play both electric and acoustic guitar. Currently, they are involved in Morgan’s (C) Rock. They have also been involved in over a dozen bands at Madison’s School of Rock, a program for young musicians on the shoreline where new bands with different themes occur every season. Some shows that have been done include Alt Nation, Songs of Social Justice, Drumaggeddon, and Modern Metal.

Noelle playing guitar

Their interest in music also began at an early age. Noelle began piano lessons at age 5 or 6, although those “fizzled out”. Eventually, they became interested in guitar after a family friend had an acoustic guitar that Noelle played with. They laughed about how playing with the tuning pegs was probably a bad thing and was confusing to the family friend, although it led them to their love for guitar. This initial curiosity paved the way for them to start taking lessons and eventually to join School of Rock.

Like the rest of us, Noelle deals with challenges. When asked if they had any struggles with motivation, they responded, “You have no idea.” They acknowledged the fact that school had never been much of a struggle for them until junior year. At that point, they found themself trying to juggle many demands such as excessive testing and at-home expectations. Besides being a Morgan Scholar, they participate in many activities that make it hard to balance their school and home life, such as Art Club, Botany Club, and Lit Mag. “Extremely burnt out. Say that,” they added.

However, when asked about art and music one last time, they mentioned that it is an outlet. They spoke about how even just doodling on a page of their schoolwork is a small stress reliever. Noelle is an incredible student, artist, and musician. They are unsure exactly where they want to go this fall but intend on pursuing a higher education in either a science or language field.