Seniors Pursuing Greek Life

Students Plan to Get Involved
Phi Mu Sorority House University of Alabama

As many seniors begin to plan where life is going to take them after graduation, the question of being involved in Greek life often comes into play. Sororities and fraternities on college campuses have become increasingly popular with undergraduate students. Greek life is especially big in the South, at schools such as the University of Alabama, which is home to at least 39 fraternities and 24 sororities. Florida State University, University of Mississippi, and University of Georgia also have huge Greek life programs.

Lots of Morgan graduates have gone on to pursue Greek life and many students of the class of 2024 plan to as well. 2023 Morgan graduate Amelia Whelan attended the University of Mississippi and joined Delta Gamma. Maddie and Eva O’Sullivan attend the University of Rhode Island and both joined Chi Omega. Seamus Staunton and Ravi Kadel attend the University of Connecticut and are both part of Phi Delta Theta.

Graduates Courtney Vause, Amelia Whelan, and Kacey Edwards

Senior AJ Luke is planning on attending a southern school with her top choices being University of Kentucky and Auburn University. AJ said, “I’ll probably rush because I want to make more friends and get more involved in the school. I heard that it is really fun.” Senior Ainsley Corgan, who’s top school is the University of Georgia, said, “I feel like it will help me meet people, and I want to get the sisterhood feel. I also want to be part of the events each sorority hosts.”

Anastasia Luke (Molly Vitola)

Other students feel as though rushing involves a lot of pressure and can become stressful. Personally, I don’t plan on rushing. Although it is a great way to be involved, I feel as though the culture of rushing can create drama and stress. Participating in clubs and other campus activities can be another way students can be involved without rushing. Senior Ava Johnson said, “I feel like I’m not the type of person to be involved with a sorority.” Senior Ross Treubig, who is going to play baseball at Suffolk University, said,“I probably won’t be part of a fraternity. I’m playing baseball, and I feel like it would be a lot to do on top of that.” Greek life can be a great way for students to get involved with their schools, but it is definitely not for everyone.