Students Begin Receiving College Acceptances

Deadlines Approach for Seniors

As college deadlines approach, many students have already received early decision or early action acceptance letters. If students are accepted after applying to a school early decision, they must attend. The only way students are exempt is if they can’t afford to attend after given their financial aid with their acceptance letter. In early action processes, financial aid isn’t given out immediately with acceptance. This plan is best for students who are sure of the school they would like to attend. Early action applications are not binding, but students receive an earlier response. Early decision and early action applications usually offer students a higher chance of being accepted. Some schools also offer rolling admissions, meaning there is no deadline to apply, as the college reviews applications as they are submitted.

headshot
Senior Ariana Salgar

Senior Ari Salgar was recently accepted early decision to Quinnipiac University in Hamden, CT. She plans to major in radiology and wants to be an MRI technician after she graduates. Quinnipiac was one of the few schools she found that offered that major. Ari chose Quinnipiac because it offers a great radiology program. She will graduate in four years with a bachelor’s degree in radiologic sciences, a masters in advanced medical imaging, and certification in two radiographic modalities, such as x-ray or ultrasound, through Quinnipiac’s Dual Degree program. After receiving her acceptance, Ari also received generous financial aid, reinforcing her decision to go there. She said, “I thought the campus was really nice, and I wanted to be close to home.”

Headshot
Senior Gavin Gersz

Senior Gavin Gersz was accepted to the University of Maine through early action. Gavin said, “It isn’t one of my top schools, but I am more interested in going there than some other schools I applied to.” She decided to apply early action because she felt she was ready to apply, and had all the necessary resources organized. Gavin said she also tends to procrastinate, which is something she wanted to avoid in the application process to eliminate as much stress as possible as more deadlines approach. She liked the school because she knew she wanted to leave the state but stay in New England because she enjoys skiing. Gavin also liked the size of the school. She plans on majoring in speech language pathology, which is something the school offers.
Senior AJ Luke was accepted into multiple schools with rolling admissions, University of Mississippi, University of Alabama, University of Kentucky, University of Maine, and Florida International University. AJ has always wanted to move South for college. She finds rolling admissions convenient since there is no set deadline. She applied early to the five schools she was accepted to, so she received her decisions faster. AJ is unsure about what she wants to major in, but is leaning towards marketing and business. Right now, her top choices are Clemson University, and the University of South Carolina. Rolling admissions make the process faster, especially if applications are received early.
As the New Year approaches, many students are looking forward to receiving more decision letters. Regular decision deadlines are typically around early January to mid-February, and decisions come out mid-March to early April. Annual college decision day takes place on May 1st, where students must choose a school to attend and put down a deposit.