Elfin Room A49

Srta. Rivadeneira’s Room Makeover

As Christmas season rolls around, so does a certain Morgan tradition: “Elfin”. English teacher Eric Carroll started this tradition and has kept it going since his arrival at Morgan. Elfin involves choosing a teacher and decorating their classroom with Christmas decorations. There are no limits: desks wrapped with Christmas paper and even a fireplace. Mr. Carroll uses the spirit squad to help him achieve his Christmas chaos. They have been preparing for this event for the last three meetings, which happen every Tuesday.

How does the lucky teacher get chosen? Depending on the year, Mr. Carroll will ask students or staff. The previous year he asked students to pick a teacher. This year, he decided to ask the staff. He asked them to choose someone who is doing a lot for this school and “deserves to have a light shined on them.” Usually it’s a new teacher who hasn’t seen the Elfin done before. The previous two years it was Ms. Crisoculo and the Guidance Department.

This year, the honor went to Spanish teacher Karla Rivadeneira. In her second year at Morgan, this is a fun way for her to feel welcome in our community.

Mr. Carroll said, “it gives me joy.”. He first experienced this at his previous high school, Brien McMahon High School in Norwalk. He walked into his classroom during his second year and found it a Christmas wonderland.

Mr. Carroll has his Humanities class help him in his madness. He had them work on paper chains for 30 minutes and made it a competition. Whoever had the longest chain got bragging rights. If he needs any more help, any one of his classes will help him. Mr. Carroll wants to keep the tradition alive for many years to come.