The WNBA 2024 Season Kicks Off

An Overview of the WNBA Draft and the 2024 Season
WNBA+teams
Addy Reed
WNBA teams

On April 15th, 2024, the Women’s National Basketball Association Draft was held. This was the 29th draft in WNBA history. The draft took place at the Brooklyn Academy of Music in New York. Fans were allowed to attend the draft, for the first time since 2016. The order that teams get to make their pick, is based on their performance from the prior season, with the worst teams going first and the best going last. Although this is true, there is one exception. The first four picks in the first round are determined by the draft lottery, which is a weighted drawing among the four teams that didn’t make the 2023 WNBA playoffs. Teams can also make trades for draft picks. For example, a team can trade one of their players to another team in order to get their spot in the draft pick. Eligible athletes include: all college seniors who are no longer eligible to play in the NCAA, any NCAA player who turns 22 this year and gives up their remaining NCAA eligibility, or any international player who turns 20 this year.

Round 1
The Indiana Fever had the first pick of the draft, and they selected Caitlin Clark, a guard who played for the Iowa Hawkeyes. Caitlin led the Hawkeye’s to the national championship game, where they lost to South Carolina. The Los Angeles Sparks had the second pick of the draft, selecting Cameron Brink from Stanford. Next, the Chicago Sky picked Kamila Cardosa, a center who played at South Carolina. For the 4th pick of the draft, Rickea Jackson was selected by the Los Angeles sparks. Rickea is a forward who played for Tennessee. The 5th pick of the draft was Jacy Sheldon, a guard from Ohio State. She was chosen by the Dallas Wings. The sixth pick of the draft, a forward from UConn, Aaliyah Edwards, was selected by the Washington Mystics. Next, the Chicago Sky picked Angel Reese, a forward from Louisiana State University. The 8th pick of the draft was forward Alissa Pili from Utah. She was selected by the Minnesota Lynx. Next, the Dallas Wings selected the guard from Tarbes (France), Carla Leite. The tenth pick of the draft was made by Connecticut Sun, our local WNBA team, who selected guard Leila Lacan from France. Next, the New York Liberty selected Marquesha Davis, a guard from Ole Miss. The 12th and final pick of the 1st round of the draft was made by the Atlanta Dream, who selected Nyadiew Puoch, a forward/center from Southside (Australia).

Round 2
For the first pick of the second round, Chicago Sky selected Brynna Maxwell, a guard from Gonzaga. Next, a guard from Uconn, Nika Muhl, was selected by the Seattle Storm. For the third pick of the draft, Indiana Fever selected Celeste Taylor, a guard from Ohio State. For the 4th pick, the Las Vegas Aces picked Dyaisha Fair from Syracuse. Next, New York Liberty selected the forward from Arizona, Esmery Martinez. For the sixth pick of the draft, Kate Martin, a guard from Iowa, was selected by the Las Vegas Aces. Next, the Connecticut Sun selected Taiyanna Jackson, a center from Kansas. Next, Isobel Bolase, a guard from Adelaide lightning (Australia) was picked by Atlanta Dream. For the 9th pick of the draft, the guard from Gonzaga, Kaylynne Truong, was selected by the Washington Mystics. Next, The Connecticut Sun drafted Helena Pueyo, a guard from Arizona. For the 11th pick, the New York Liberty selected Jessika Carter, a forward from Mississippi State. Finally, Elizabeth Kitley from Virginia Tech was selected by the Las Vegas Aces.

Round 3
In the first pick of the third round, Charisma Osborn, a guard from UCLA was selected by the Phoenix Mercury. Next, Mackenzie Holmes, a forward from Indiana, was selected by Settle Storm. For the third pick, Indiana Fever selected the guard from Florida, Leilani Correa. Next, McKenzie Forbes, a guard from USC was selected by the Los Angeles Sparks. For the fifth pick, Jaz Shelly, a guard from Nebraska, was selected by Phoenix Mercury. Forward Nastja Claessens from Belgium was selected by the Washington Mystics for the sixth pick. Next, Kiki Jefferson, a guard from Louisville, was selected by the Minnesota Lynx. For the 8th pick, Matilde Villa, a guard from Italy, was selected by Atlanta Dream. Next, Ashley Owusu, a guard from Penn State, was picked by the Dallas Wings. For the 10th pick, Abbey Hsu, a guard from Columbia, was selected by the Connecticut Sun. Next, Kaitlyn Davis, a forward from USC, was selected by New York Liberty. Lastly, Angel Jackson, a center from Jackson State, was selected by Las Vegas Aces.

The 2024 WNBA season began on Tuesday, May 14, and the first game was the New York Liberty at the Washington Mystics, 7 p.m. ET. The final score was 85 to 80, with New York Liberty winning. Senior basketball player Ava Johnson said, “I am excited to watch players like Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese because I saw them play in college in the NCAA tournament, and I can’t wait to see now they expand the WNBA and the fan base”. Senior Julia White is also excited for the start of the season. She attended the Indiana Fever vs. Connecticut Sun game at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut. This game was on Tuesday, May 14th, at 7:30 p.m. ET. Julia said, “I am so excited to see Caitlin Clark, and I’m super excited for the start of the season, it should be a good first game”