8th Graders Visit Morgan- February 28th

Tours by Husky Leadership, NHS Students

On February 28th, the current 8th graders (class of 2028) visited The Morgan School during the school day to walk around and see some classes and electives. They arrived at the school at 9:35am and left the school at around 11:30am. Students visited various elective classes in the lower A wing of the building. They saw classes such as culinary classes taught by consumer science teacher Sue Murphy, computer science taught by integrated media arts instructor Jessica Mularski, art taught by art teacher Justin Sylvia, engineering taught by technology teacher James Buys, and introduction to communications taught by technology teacher Ted Enoch.

Student panel talking to 8th graders (Taylor Breen)

The 8th graders were split into two groups alphabetically and one group started in the auditorium for a presentation led by their guidance counselors while the other group toured the lower A wing. During the presentation, a student panel talked about what electives are offered at Morgan and how to choose which ones they are interested in. The student panel went in depth about events Morgan has to offer. Some events they talked about are STEP, electives, clubs and sports, and activities such as pep rallies, homecoming and prom, spirit weeks and much more. After about an hour, the two groups switched places.

8th grader Cassidy Pluck plans on going to Morgan. Before the tour, she said, “I am most nervous to have classes with upperclassmen because it seems a little scary, and I’m not used to having classes with people other than in my grade. I’m also scared of getting lost because Morgan is a much bigger school than Eliot.” Cassidy plans to play on the Morgan Girls Soccer team and is “really excited for high school soccer” in the fall. She shared how she feels going into a new school. She said, “I’m most excited about a new environment and getting to see more people, and I’ve heard that there’s a lot more freedom at Morgan than at Eliot, so I’m excited to be able to be more independent.”

A couple of days before coming to Morgan, 8th grader Henry Carvalho said, “I am most nervous about the transition of workload and what we learned during 8th grade into my freshman year of high school and how I’ll be able to take in and understand the information that is being taught to me.” Henry also said how he was excited to tour the school and learn more about Morgan. On top of this, he said, “I personally feel comfortable going into a new school where I will already know some students who are in their freshman or sophomore year at Morgan. I know that it’s not a bad thing to just ask someone a general question to get around the school if I am lost.”

8th graders in auditorium (Gabi Navarra)

The visit was the same day as the open house for parents of 8th graders and students to hear and see more of what Morgan has to offer. At the open house, students at Morgan came to talk to 8th graders visiting with their parents about different classes and different electives.

The open house was successful for not only the upcoming 8th graders but also their parents. Sophomore Payton Corgan was part of a tour group and said, “We really got to show the purpose of The Morgan School and the true meaning of family at Morgan. I really hope we convinced kids that were questioning their choice in schools to come to Morgan”.

The photos from these two events are below.