Senior Spotlight: Lily Tanner

Attending Cosmetology School
Lily Tanner
Lily Tanner’s nail art

Senior Lily Tanner plans to go to cosmetology school after graduating. Lily will attend The Paul Mitchell School in North Haven, CT.

The Paul Mitchell School has been around for over 20 years, and they are accredited by the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts & Sciences, Inc. They require 1500 hours of school for their cosmetology program which teaches hair, nails, makeup, and esthetics. The tuition is around $20,000, and after textbooks and tools, the total cost is around $25,000. Lily has plenty of experience which will benefit her through the program, but students without any experience can also apply to Paul Mitchell.

Lily decided against going to college and focusing on cosmetology instead. She said, “I found a passion for it. I would rather spend my life doing something I love than wasting my time getting a degree that I don’t need.”

Lily Tanners nail art (Lily Tanner)

Over the past year, Lily has worked on her nail technician skills. Many Morgan students have their nails done by Lily, especially for special events such as Homecoming and prom. Lily is known to be very talented in art, which translates into her nail skills. Her creativity helps her with intricate designs. Through The Paul Mitchell School, Lily will also learn hairdressing, esthetician, and makeup skills, all areas where she is already skilled.

After cosmetology school, Lily plans to attend online classes through Gateway Community College in New Haven, CT to earn a business degree. Eventually, Lily would like to work with bridal parties and help them get ready for weddings. She would love to travel for destination weddings to work as well. Lily also wants to open her own salon, providing services in all four areas. She eventually wants to be able to expand her business all over the country. Lily said, “I truly believe that if you don’t pursue a job doing something you love, you’re wasting your life”