Our Morgan Dog Pound

Students Look Back at our School Spirit
Football+9%2F15%2F23
Riley Schmidt
Football 9/15/23

When it comes to football, Morgan brings energy and school pride to support the Huskies.  Students come to the games in support of the players. Administrative Assistant of Athletics Casey Metz reported that approximately 200 people go to the home games. Junior Wyatt Luke said “We are a family,” and many others agree. Senior Luke Powell said the most important part of going to the games is  “the energy we bring because without energy there is no spirit for the team. Every time we bring energy. The team, they come to play.”

MSW won the first 3 games of the season with tremendous fan support, especially from the Morgan Huskies. Senior Sean Green said it was the theme that was  most important because “theme unifies us. We all have to match.” The themes have been frat, white lies, and farmers. Morgan is very welcoming, freshman Benji Brown said that “it’s a great community” and “overall everyone has a good time”.  

The football players appreciate all the support they get at the games. Against Coventry, freshman Trevor Powell played quarterback.  He said,“It feels amazing.” Trevor had a passing touchdown in the game against Coventry on 9/15/23.  He said, “when I got in, and they were chanting my name, there was a lot of pressure, but I loved it”.

New to Huskies football is the addition of Old Saybrook and Westbrook. Adding other towns into the Dog Pound increased the size and the amount of energy in the student section. Morgan’s Principal Keri Hagness said, “the spirit of the Dog Pound has definitely increased since last year.” Guidance Administrative Assistant Karyn O’Beirn said, “The other towns are bringing in the same kind of spirit.” She added that “it is very cohesive.” Having more people at the games is beneficial and creates a better environment. Senior Riley Schmidt said, “Everyone is more involved.”  

After a game, football is the talk of the next day. People come into school excited about the game and what happened. Students will fill in teachers and other students. By doing this, teachers who cannot attend get a better understanding of what is happening outside of school. This Husky spirit moves beyond the field into the classroom.