Death by a Thousand Cuts: A Requiem for Black and Brown Men

Performance at the Town Hall: Saturday 4/13 at 7:00 PM
Death by a Thousand Cuts

The Clinton Human Rights Committee is partnering with the Henry Carter Hull, Clinton Arts Council, Inaba (A group located on the shoreline focusing on addressing systemic racism and social justice at local, state and federal levels), and M.A.D Content to put on the show Death By a Thousand Cuts. These organizations are located in CT and all promote diversity and are against racism. They will be gathering financial support from the Arts Council of Greater New Haven and have endorsements from the Greater New Haven NAACP, the Guilford Human Rights Commission, the Shoreline Arts Alliance and CoDE. Death By a Thousand Cuts: A Requiem for Black and Brown Men is a one-act play, written and directed by Steven Driffin.

In an article by the Yale Daily News, “Death by 1,000 Cuts: A Requiem for Black and Brown Men” by Ruth Lee, it said, “The show can be categorized into multiple genres: an autobiography, cultural memoir or an oral history of Black men. It incorporates different elements of rap, spoken word poetry, song and prose to explore several themes that articulate the experiences of Black and Brown men: microaggressions in the educational system, colorism from the community and the burdens of toxic masculinity.” This production has fantastic reviews. It has also sold-out venues in Connecticut and off-Broadway in New York City since 2022. This show was created to help show the real and raw experiences of black men, surviving and living in America.

The play will be performed at the Clinton Town Hall on Saturday, April 13th at 7:00 PM. This performance will be followed by a Q&A and panel discussion.

This play handles very deep topics. Clinton Human Rights Committee Student Advisor, Sophomore Anadaly Lopez, said, “I think the message of the play is really important. All teens and family should go because it will spark very good conversations about racism and inclusivity.”

This event is free, however donations are appreciated. To register, go to https://events.hchlibrary.org/4-13-24.