Freshman Spotlight: Madison Jandreau

New school, New Environment

Freshman Madison Jandreau is new here to the Clinton Public Schools. In 8th grade, Madison moved to Clinton from Norwich, CT. Madison plays one sport at Morgan which is field hockey. Field hockey helped Madison gain connections and friends. Madison said, ”I met a lot of people, especially from different grades.” This was Madison’s first year playing field hockey.

In Norwich, Madison attended a private school. According to Madison, public school is very different from private school. For example, in Madison’s private school, students have to wear uniforms, pay to go there and have fewer students in every class. Madison said, ”Everything felt different.”

Adapting to Morgan and public school was difficult. Madison said, “Since I always went to a private school, it feels like there are a lot more people here, and Clinton is a lot nicer and cleaner.” Madison’s impressions on Morgan and teachers are very positive. She said, “It is a great school and there are a variety of classes to choose from, and the teachers are very helpful.” Madison also finds the upperclassmen to be helpful. She said teachers always are available to answer questions and offer help.  

When Madison came to Eliot in 8th grade, all the students and teachers were very welcoming. She came for a tour and enjoyed walking around and meeting some new people. She said, “It was scary at first because I didn’t know anybody, and it was really hard to get used to, but after a year of meeting everyone, it felt normal.”

When she is not playing field hockey, Madison enjoys hanging out with friends and spending time outside. Madison also enjoys listening to her favorite artists Drake and Olivia Rodrigo.  Madison has been dancing for 10 years and she dances at The Dance Corner located in Killingworth, CT where she performs in hip hop dance. Throughout her years of dance, she has tried every style of dancing, but has stuck with hip hop because she enjoys it the most. Dance has  helped her gain more friends and connections with people around the Shoreline. 

Madison Posing (Ginger Jandreau)

Madison’s friend, Megan Campion who is also a freshman, plays field hockey and dances with Madison. Since, they do these activities together, they have become very good friends. Megan said, “I convinced her to do field hockey and to continue doing hip hop.” Madison finds Megan important to her because she has helped her to gain more friends and connections through sports. 

After high school, Madison plans on going to college. Madison does not want to go to college out of state because she wants to stay close to her family. She would also prefer not to go to community college. One of the colleges that she wants to go to is UCONN. Madison does not plan on playing any sports in college and wants to just focus on academics. 

After college, Madison wants to be successful and have a good job. She wants to be paid well and work with kids. Madison’s dream job is to be a pediatrician. UCONN has all the right classes she needs to take to be a pediatrician and to be successful in the future.