College Football Playoff Controversy

NCAA Decision: Morgan’s Opinions
Gavin Clow

The NCAA released the rankings of the four teams participating in the playoffs this year: Michigan #1, Washington #2, Texas #3, and Alabama #4. This sparked controversy because undefeated FSU did not get a spot in the playoffs. If the NCAA only went by record, FSU would be included. Instead, the NCAA picks the teams based on whom they think are the best teams and what games will be the most competitive. Even though FSU had a perfect record, their quarterback was injured badly against North Alabama. The NCAA decided that since the injury took place, FSU would not be as competitive as other teams and made the decision to have them not be in the playoffs. People have mixed opinions on this topic, for example Administrative Assistant Karyn O’Beirn said, “they definitely deserved to be in the playoffs. They have a track record that leaves them undefeated”. While Sophomore Christian Harris said, “FSU should not be in the playoffs because they are not a power house team like the other teams in the playoffs”. Another team that people thought deserved to be in the playoffs is Georgia, they lost their final game to Alabama after being ranked the entire year at #1.

The final score of the game was 24-27 Alabama. Some people think that Georgia deserves to be in because they had the #1 spot through the entire season. Also, even though they lost the game it was very close, with the game being decided by 3 points.

Next year, this will not be a problem. This is because there will be 12 teams instead of a 4 team playoff. This opens up a new opportunity for teams that deserve a chance at a National Championship, but may have lost games earlier in the season or lost against rival schools. Joe Morgan, a Sports Reporter from Fox News, said in an article that it was an “impossible task of choosing four teams to compete for the National Championship” since this year multiple teams truly deserved it.

If this year was the first year of a 12 team playoff, FSU and Georgia would be in the playoffs, and ultimately have the chance to play for the National Championship game. Having more teams in the playoffs means more games, and more viewers, which will increase revenue. Most if not all stadiums will be sold out. This will help each college because when one college in a conference makes the playoffs, the conference that the college is in will be awarded 6 million dollars. Many believe that the 12 team playoff is a good change because both the NCAA and the colleges will benefit.