Home Opener: Morgan vs. Cromwell

Upset Over State Champions

On December 14, the Morgan boys basketball team started their season off with a foot on the gas. The home opener was against the previous state champions, the Cromwell Panthers. The starting line-up consisted of Junior Luke McComiskey, Senior Mason Krott, Senior Kolby Clifton, Senior Captain Robby Estabrook, and Senior Captain Jack Nye. The game started around 7 p.m., with the Dog Pound coming out to show their support.

With tensions high due to rivalry, the Morgan Huskies were eager to get onto the court. In the first quarter of the game, Morgan was up 11 to 7. Going into the second quarter, the boys were tired but knew they had to keep fighting if they wanted to win this game. At the beginning of the second quarter, Cromwell was able to tie Morgan, 16-16.

Mid way through second quarter (Ari Salgar)

At the beginning of the third quarter, the Cromwell Panthers were up by 7 points, 25-18

The Morgan Huskies knew that they had to get back onto the court with more determination than the first half. By the end of the third quarter, Cromwell was up 29-24. Pressures were high, with both teams wanting to win.

Through the entire fourth quarter, Cromwell contained a lead of no more than nine points. With the fourth quarter coming to an end, the teams were tied at 49-49. In the last minute of the game, Jack was fouled and was giving two foul shots, missing one. The second one put Morgan up by 1 point. While on defense, Jack was able to steal the ball from senior Victor Payne on Cromwell. As Jack was running up the court, Victor tugged on his shirt, resulting in a foul. Making both foul shots, Morgan ended up winning the game 52-49.

Jack and Kolby during a foul shot (Ari Salgar)

Seniors Jack Nye and Kolby Clifton had an outstanding game, with Jack scoring 18 points and Kolby 15. The Morgan Boys Basketball team will continue their undefeated season on December 19 at home against HK. Come out and show your support.