The Problem with Pierson

Questions Rise Over Future Use of the Property
Lena Flaherty
Front of the building

Overview

Driving down East Main Street in Clinton, you are sure to notice the vacant building that used to be the Abraham Pierson School. Built in 1932, Pierson saw almost 90 years of students walk in and out of its doors, most recently housing upper-elementary students.

Pierson closed its doors in 2019 due to decreasing enrollment and operational issues. Many questions arose as to what would become of the school. Currently, the building is owned by the Town of Clinton, but the town is eager to find a development partner that will refurbish it, while keeping its historical charm.

Obstacles

Due to its historical architecture, future use of the building must preserve the exterior, and must remain consistent with the style of its neighboring buildings.

School yard is overgrown with weeds (Lena Flaherty) 

Unfortunately, this has drawn away many future possibilities with the use of the building since companies would prefer to tear the building down. 

Along with preserving the building, the deed on the property states that the building must be solely used for educational purposes. This deed is from 1953, when the Morgan Fund Trustees sold it to the town. However, the Town Council has decided that they will pay the trust $75,670 in order to lift the deed restriction. This deed restriction will hopefully pave the way to a bright future for future usage of the property.

Hope for the Future

As of this June, the bid on the school has been closed, and according to Town Planner Abby Piersall the Town Council is currently evaluating responses to a Request for Proposals. She says full details on the project are not currently available, but there is hope that in the near future we will see something being done with the old school. More information about this can be found on this pdf.

Playground is vacant (Lena Flaherty)

What Do You Think Should Happen?

A few students and staff shared what they hope happens to the property.

Senior Julia White hopes to see the building destroyed. She wants the property to be refurbished into an area similar to Madison’s downtown, with lots of shops and things to do.

Freshman Gavin Clow shares a different view. He thinks it is important to maintain the historic building, but if possible, he would love to see it become a Chick-fil-A.

English teacher Amanda Auger hopes they maintain the historic building, and would like to see a recreational center or apartments. She believes that because the building is  in the center of town, it should be something community-based.

Sharing a similar view to Mrs. Auger, health teacher Rachel Lupone agrees that it should become some sort of community center. She likes the idea of the property housing a senior living center, which has previously been mentioned by the Town Council.

There are a range of ideas for what should happen to Pierson. We can only hope that something happens in the near future, eliminating one vacant building in our downtown.

Lena Flaherty
Lena Flaherty, Reporter, Email Manager, Editor
Hi! My name is Lena Flaherty, and I am a sophomore in the class of 2026. This is my first time taking Journalism, and I'm super excited to contribute to the PawPrint by making videos, writing articles, and conducting interviews. Currently, I play on the Morgan Field Hockey team and Morgan Fencing Team, and participate in the Morgan musical. I am a part of REACT, Interact, and Social Justice Club.

• C

ChristineDec 4, 2023 at 1:13 pm

Lena, great coverage of an important topic in our town. I hope to also see it become a Community Center for our young and our older population to enjoy! It was a pleasure to read your informative article!

• A

AshleyNov 22, 2023 at 7:01 am

Lena, thank you for this informative article. I really appreciate your coverage of this town issue. You have a bright future in much-needed community journalism if you enjoy the subject.

• A

AnnNov 21, 2023 at 11:29 am

Maybe a satellite school for SCSU, Quinnipiac, NHU, even Yale–which got its start in Clinton.

• A

Andrea SalvinNov 21, 2023 at 8:49 am

I agree with Ms. Auger & Ms. Lupone. Pierson is perfect for a community center, which could include a senior center, as well as a place for the younger folks in town. There is a gym & a cafeteria, etc. It would be a shame to destroy this historic building!!

• S

Sir PapaNov 20, 2023 at 5:32 pm

Right on Lena-great article!