Morgan Welcomes New Science Teacher: Mrs. Gilbert

New Teacher moved from Eliot to Morgan
Mrs.+Gilbert
Ainsley Lyon
Mrs. Gilbert

Science teacher Kelly Gilbert is one of the newest additions to the Morgan staff. Although she is new at Morgan, she has taught science in Colchester, Hamden, and Eliot. She currently teaches mainly freshmen and sophomores Biology and Integrated Science. 

She completed her high school education at the old Morgan. After graduating from Morgan, she continued her education at Boston University. Although at Morgan she fell in love with biology and had a great experience with her former teacher, Assistant Principal Chris Luther; she decided to go to college for engineering. As she began internships for engineering, she experienced dissatisfaction with her major. “I wasn’t allowed to take any bio classes, even though I wanted to be a bio engineer,” Mrs. Gilbert said. After talking with family and friends, she expressed her interest in biology, ultimately changing her major to biology. 

Mrs. Gilbert described her experience here at Morgan so far, and she shared how emotional she is to be back here at Morgan. She explained how being back at Morgan has brought her a sense of home. “It’s a weird feeling of coming home, but the home is totally remodeled and different,” she expressed. She explained how strange it is to call her former teachers by their first names rather than their last. Enthusiastically, she shares how comfortable she is being back at the place where she fell in love with biology. She enjoys  being able to give back to the community where she grew up. 

Her life outside of teaching pertains to both the outdoors and the indoors. While outdoors, she experiences hiking and kayaking. Indoors, she loves to play videogames, build legos, and watch movies/TV. 

Mrs. Gilbert is excited to share her knowledge of science to the school she now can call home.