MSW Crushes HK: First Game of the Season

44-20
Football players during warm up before the game

As we head into the beginning of fall sports, we finally approached our first football game of the season. The team has recently combined with Old Saybrook and Westbrook, making it the MSW football team. We had our first game on Friday, September 8th vs. Haddam-Killingworth. The Dog Pound was packed with students from Morgan, Old Saybrook and Westbrook.

The game was planned to start at 7pm, that night but because of the weather, there was a 30 minute delay. All cheerleaders and football players had to report inside because of the thunder and lightning. Once everyone was cleared to start the game we made it to the second quarter, followed by another delay. The game was later postponed to Saturday, September 9th at 10 am due to the weather. MSW ended with a score of 14-6 on Friday night.  They headed back to the field and continued where they left off. The cheerleaders and football players had a bit of a struggle with the heat but stayed strong throughout the game. As the game progressed MSW managed to stay ahead of the game with an ending score of 44-20. 

Players of the night: Jack Nye #2 (senior at MHS) had two touchdowns, Tyler Baldwin #10 (senior at MHS) with two running touchdowns, Casey Corrigan #36 (senior at MHS) with one touchdown, and Ethan Lane #15 (junior at OSHS) with one other touchdown.

As a result of this outstanding win, Jack Nye and Tyler Baldwin won player of the week for the Pequot Conference. Jack Nye (Linebacker) won for defense and Tyler Baldwin (Quarterback) won for offense.

The next football game is on Friday, September 22, 2023, it’s a home game at Peters Complex at Joel against Capital Achievement.