Morgan Girls Tennis Senior Night

Four Seniors Honored During Girls Tennis Senior Night

Selina Chen and Tessa Gebauer

On Monday, May 8, the Morgan Girls Tennis team celebrated their four seniors: Seniors Sadie Lyons (captain), Ruby Tuccitto (captain), Magda Lagos, and Melissa Scheurer. They played Haddam-Killingworth and won 7-0. Their current record is 8-5, and they have four games left in the season. The individual Shoreline Championship is the week of 5/22. Morgan qualifies for the state championship, and the opening round is Friday, May 26th. 

The freshmen, sophomores, and juniors headed to the courts as soon as school got out to decorate for this special day. Sarah Morrissey brought ribbons, balloons, and posters of the seniors. Each player created a poster honoring their designated senior. The seniors and players walked onto the courts, and the game began. At the end of the game, there was a ceremony for the seniors. Each senior walked out with one of their teammates to meet their family for a picture. The senior captains were given a Morgan Girls Tennis 2023 hoodie.

Ruby and Sadie, the two captains, have not had a full four years on the team due to COVID-19. Their freshmen year, in 2020, COVID shut down schools just before tennis tryouts. So, sophomore year, Sadie decided to join the tennis team. She had no prior experience, and she was unsure whether she should play lacrosse or tennis. Now, she is the number two singles player on the team, and her current record is 7-4. Ruby, now a senior as well, has been on the team for two years during her time at Morgan. She joined the team during her junior year and played singles in the 2022 season. At the beginning of the 2023 season, she was convinced that she should play singles. The new coach, Matt Beck, put her and Gavin Gersz as the number one doubles players. Their current record for number-one doubles is 9-5.

The 2023 season was Magdalena and Melissa’s first year on the team. At the start of the first practice, they hadn’t played tennis before. This challenged the coach, and he went over techniques while learning about each player. On the weekend and after practice, Magda and Melissa would play each other, increasing their experience every day. Sara Morrissey and Gavin Gersz helped them after practice and taught them tennis techniques. Melissa and Magda played doubles.

These four seniors had been a great contribution to the program. Every practice, they had a positive attitude and lifted the team. The captains Ruby and Sadie are strong leaders and helped the new coach. With the end of the season, it has been a great year for the team, and there are more games to come as they reach individual Shorelines and states.