Senior Spotlight: Charlotte Monty

Q&A With Senior Artist

Katie Martin, Writer, Chief Editor

What are three words you would use to describe yourself?

“Motivated, creative, and inspired.” 

What are you most passionate about in life? 

“Probably art, like sewing. But I also really like science; it is probably what I will go into in college.”

What is one thing you look forward to most after you graduate? 

“I’d say going to college. Maybe doing my masters and perhaps like my PhD after that. I am excited to meet new people and learn new things.” 

What are your plans for the future? 

“I plan to do my bachelor’s in biology and maybe my master’s and PhD after that. I am looking into a few schools, but I am not exactly sure. I’ve been interested in Skidmore, Fordham, and I got into Quinnipiac, but I am not exactly sure where I want to go yet.”

Who has influenced you the most at Morgan?

“I feel like a lot of the English teachers I have had. Ms. Frydenborg and Ms. Chausse has helped me improve a lot as a writer. I do LitMag with Ms. Frydenborg. 

What are you involved in at Morgan and why? 

“I am involved in the literary magazine. I am the senior editor of that. I have participated in that all four years. I am a part of the National Honor Society, Spanish National Honor Society, and Art National Honor Society, though we haven’t done much in Art National Society. Oh, and I did tennis for one year.” 

What are your hobbies? 

“I really like drawing. I usually work with alcohol based markers. You know I like to draw characters from shows, sceneries, and animals, anything really. I like working with acrylics too for drawing and painting. And I do a lot of sewing too. I usually sew costumes of characters. Sometimes I do original designs. As a kid I really liked My Little Pony, so I went to my first comic convention, and then I got really into making costumes, so that’s kind of where that came from. And with art I’ve always kind of enjoyed it and over the years I have worked on my skills and explored different mediums. I’ve been drawing since I’ve been pretty young.  Oh, and I also like writing and reading.” 

What is your favorite part of Morgan? 

“I feel like everyone is nice for the most part. I like our sense of community. We have great teachers and a good system going on.”

What is the best memory you have made in high school?

“Going on the Marine Science trip to UCONN was fun. We hadn’t been able to go on many trips because of Covid, so this one was fun. We had to build a boat for it and then went on it, so just off the top of my head that one was really fun.”

What are you most proud of? 

“I feel like I am proud of a lot of the projects I have done in English classes. I don’t know if I can pinpoint one because I usually had some creative integrity with those. I liked the Beloved project I did, and a Midsummer Night’s Dream project where I made a diorama sophomore year. The humanities one I really liked a lot, the dress.” 

What is your goal for the rest of your senior year? 

“Keep my grades up. Keep doing what I am doing. Decide what college I am going to. Make a lot of big decisions.”

What advice would you give to your freshman self? 

“Be more confident in yourself. I was very shy and didn’t like talking about my interests or talking in general. But now I realize that nobody really cares.” 

What is the most important lesson you have learned from four years of high school? 

“Even if you feel like you aren’t good at something, as long as you preserve, you can accomplish anything you put your mind to.”