New Face in the Guidance Office: Mr. Chase

Another new member of the Morgan community this year is guidance intern Gabriel Chase. Mr. Chase is going to be interning here for the entirety of the 2020-21 academic year.

Mr. Chase grew up and

Mr. Chase (Jonathan Blair)

spent most of his life in Haddam, CT, and he attended Haddam Killingworth High School.

Mr. Chase has a Bachelor’s Degree in Communications from Wheaton College. He is also in his final year at graduate school at Central Connecticut State University. He is pursuing a Master’s degree in Counselor Education.

He previously spent two years at Keigwin Middle School in Middletown as an Intensive Case Management Paraprofessional. He then was a Social Emotional Learning Interventionist at Macdonough Elementary School. He also completed his school counseling practicum at Woodrow Wilson Middle School in Middletown. This however, is his first time at a high school.

After Mr. Chase’s college career, he tried several different jobs including working as an insurance salesman only a few years ago. He then took career counseling which led him to education and counseling based on his skills and personality. “I’ve always loved working with students. I loved being a camp counselor back in the day.” Mr. Chase was also very interested in helping high schoolers with planning their futures or helping with their social or emotional needs.

Guidance Office (Jonathan Blair)

Mr. Chase is required to do 700 hours of an internship which translates to roughly three days per week for the entire academic year. He typically comes into Morgan on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays.

Although there are many differences between younger kids and high school students, Mr. Chase is prepared to help any and all students in any way possible, “It’s going to be the same principles in different ways. Students are still going to have strong emotions,” He believes that whether it is an elementary student or a senior in high school, there are similar principles in social and emotional needs.

“I hope to gain as much experience as I can helping high schoolers and getting used to working with this age group,” High school students can definitely be complicated, so it is important to gain as much experience as possible.

Welcome to Morgan, Mr. Chase!