Giving to the Blood Drive

Written by Maddie Davenport|

On Tuesday, March 10, Morgan held a blood drive in the gym. With the help of The Red Cross and National Honor Society, Morgan managed to donate enough blood to save many lives. Fifty-three people walked into the doors eager to help save people’s lives by donating blood. Seventeen of those people were deferred for having low iron, high heart rate, or not meeting the weight or height requirement.

Both students and teachers of The Morgan School donated their blood to the cause. The National Honor Society set a goal of twenty-eight pints of blood. Morgan successfully donated thirty-six pints of blood. Each pint of blood saves three lives. Therefore, Morgan saved one hundred and eight lives. Great job Morgan. Keep being a force for good.

Senior Ben Lichak had a great first time donating blood. He “had no loopiness” and looked well afterwards. Ben said that he “would donate again”. Ben was able to save three lives.

Senior Thomas Baker donated blood and had a not so great experience. He says he felt “very lightheaded, dizzy, and nauseous,” but he still felt very “fulfilled.” Despite feeling this way, Thomas did say he would donate blood again. He was very pleased with the staff and said that he “needed more sleep and to drink more water.” Thomas may have had a bad experience, but he was the only person out of the thirty-six people who felt sick afterward.

Logan Smith is also a senior here at The Morgan School. This was the first time that Logan donated. Logan had “a good experience with no pain.” He also “wasn’t nervous.” Logan wanted to donate because “a lot of people need blood and help.” Logan will donate blood again.

Logan Smith

According to the Red Cross, there is currently a critical need for blood, but with the current quarantine throughout the country, the majority of blood drives have been canceled. Patients are in critical need of blood, platelets, and EB elite plasma. Help of healthy individuals is a necessity at this time. If you wish to make an appointment to donate blood, then you can visit The Red Cross website.