New Year, New Wrestling Coach

Written by Ashlynn Leka |

Starting off the 2018-2019 wrestling season there is a new coach Morgan Alumni Darren Hicks. He applied for this job as wrestling coach ¨ for my love of the sport of wrestling, my loyalty to Morgan and, to pass that on to our wrestlers.¨ Coach Hicks graduated from Morgan in the class of 1984. He wrestled all four years at Morgan and even won two individual state championship titles in the years 1983 and 1984. 

Sophomore Todd Morin said,¨ I think as a team this season will go rather well especially for some of the newer kids that are definitely going to do better than people would expect. We will probably have 3 or 4 state placers¨

Senior and captain Tony Cimino said, ¨ I am looking forward to all of the matches I have this year. I am also really looking forward to being a captain,  being a leader for the team and really watching the team grow¨

This year ¨goals for the team are probably to place higher in the Class S tournament,¨said Tony Cimino. Last year the boys placed 6th in this tournament with a score of 130.5 points. ¨I think we can go 4th or 5th with the quality of wrestlers that we have,¨ said Todd Morin. At this tournament last year many of Morgan’s boys placed high in their weight division. Class of 2018 graduate Austin Daley, senior Tony Cimino, and sophomore Loius Bradley all placed second place in their weight divisions. 

Their first match will be on Wednesday 12/12 at 6 PM at the Haddam-Killingworth Middle School In Killingworth VS. HK. 

Make sure to come and support your Morgan Wrestling team throughout the season!

Good luck, Go Huskies!