Students Take the DUB: Swoosh For Change 2018

Article written by Sydney Fratamico
    Photos taken by Lily Cummings, Sydney Fratamico, and Taylor Wyatt

Clinton families, staff, and students came to the Morgan Gym Friday, March 9th at 6:00pm to watch the annual Swoosh for Change event, where Clinton staff faced the Morgan students in an exciting basketball game. It was an extremely close game, keeping the audience loud and enthusiastic. Students managed to keep up their lead all the way to the end of the game, winning 55-53.

This year’s Swoosh for Change was a success. Overall, $1200.25 was raised for Clinton Families Helping Families which allowed this foundation to continue their five community outreach programs. This foundation is a “Grass-root volunteer organization collecting non-perishables and money for fuel assistance for neighbors in need.”-Families Helping Families.

The Husky Leaders, advised Principal Keri Hagness and Library Media Specialist Shannon Robinson, led the entire event. They sold tickets, set up and cleaned up, and created presentations to plan out the event. Junior Kitty Short said, “The Husky Leaders were very responsible, and the event would not have been as successful without them.”

During halftime, Morgan hosted a “hotshot game.” Students had to make as many baskets as possible during the two minutes they were given. Senior Anes Gadun won the game.

Morgan students clearly enjoyed the spectacular event. Sophomore Aryn McQuarrie said, “I think that Swoosh for change is an excellent way to get students and teachers involved.” Sophomores Tatiana Serrano and Natalie Novarro said, “We really enjoyed this event and we cannot wait until next year’s game.” Senior Abby Pitarra said, “It was a very intense game, and even though there could have been a better turnout, I still had a fun time with everyone that came.” Sophomore Alyse Olcott participated in the game. She said, “I am so glad that we won!”

Though the staff was unable to defeat the students, they still kept their heads high and enjoyed themselves at the event. Physical Education teacher Jessica Blodgett said, “Mr. Bean and Mr. Zdunczyk were a huge standout. I was impressed with the whole event. It was my first time there, and I didn’t know what to expect. I was impressed with how the students played and how they played with heart. They deserved to win. I wish I could be here next year to play again. I will miss my chance next year to show how I can really play.” Physical Education teacher Pete Gersz said, “The students played a fantastic game, I let my team down.”

During the events, raffle tickets were sold to the audience. Sophomore Kerryanne Longyear won the beach themed basket. Kate Robinson won the fitness basket. Senior Patrick Wilson won the Morgan Pride basket, and Guidance Counselor Moheba Sayed won the car wash.

Morgan looks forward to the exciting, annual fundraiser next year.