M-O-R-G-A-N! Cheerleaders at States

Written by: Jillian Crowley and Emma Iovene |
    Photos by: Jillian Crowley and Emma Iovene |

Morgan cheerleaders headed to the Floyd Little Athletic Center attached to Hill House in New Haven on Friday, March 3, 2017, at 9:06 pm. The girls are coached by Guidance Counselor Joni Capobianco and Algebra and Geometry teacher Stephanie White. The Morgan Cheerleaders and their coaches attended the CIAC Cheerleading Competition.  

Being in Class S, the girls finished off this year’s competition season with a score of 112.4. The girls were devastated when the judges took a huge twenty-five point deduction for a technicality. The judges deducted these points because of how the girls were supporting their flyers. Despite the deduction, the team still placed tenth in Class S. The girls were very honored to qualify for states.

Junior Abby Pitarra, as a spectator, said that she “ thinks they did amazing. They work well together and it is great to watch them. They have truly improved so much”

Freshman Amber Corrigan standing by her team

Prior to the state competition, the girls had a great season, starting over the summer. According to Ms. Capobianco, at the 2017 UCA Camp, the Morgan girls received first place for extreme routine. Freshman Amber Corrigan was chosen for the CIAC Leadership Conference. She was also named honorable mention for the All-Shoreline Team along with Seniors Mackenzie Miller and Julie Abatello, Juniors Jackie Spear, Grace Devries, and Carly Schmeidler and Sophomore Megan Falcone.

At competitions, the girls won many titles. They placed second at the Griswold Cheer Competition and first at the CCSU Cheer Competition. They received the title of  Grand Champions for placing first in their division and first out of all the divisions for the CCSU competition including college and coed, where teams are composed of males and females. 

After the CCSU Competition, Senior Jordyn Suraci received first-team All-Shoreline and qualified for the All-State team. In addition to the win at the CCSU Competition,  the team received first place at NECA Competition with a score of 77.45 on February 25, 2017.

The Morgan girls cheerleading has grown by so much over the past years. Ms. Capiboinco stated how “this is my third year coaching, and we have grown tremendously. The year before I started coaching the team, they only had 10 girls, where my first year we went up to 13, last year we had 26, and now this year we have 30.” Over the last 3 years

The Morgan girls cheerleading program has advanced vastly and will continue to.