Sophomores Jumping into Junior Prom Prep

Written by Kitty Shortt and Dan Radka|
    Photos by Kitty Shortt|

erin lindsay and caleb adams-hull
    Sophomore Class President Caleb-Adams Hull (left) and Sophomore Vice-President Erin Lindsay (right)

As the prom season comes closer, many sophomores have been thinking about their own prom in the Spring of 2018. Many questions have been posed regarding their prom, including where it will be held, the price of tickets, date, and what is being done to fundraise for the prom. Sophomore class advisors have not made any definitive decisions; however, there are some preliminary comments that they can make about the Class of 2019’s Junior Prom.

The Royal Ballroom at Water’s Edge

Sophomore Class Officers released a joint statement: “Our main goal for junior prom is to keep prices low while still having the best experience possible.” They understand the importance of both proms but know that the student body cares more about senior prom. With this, choosing a suitable venue for prom is extremely important. Sophomore Calvin Jackson said, “As a member of the student body, I support the decision that the Student Officers are making in choosing a less expensive venue for junior prom, and I think that they are representing the student body’s interests well.”

Sophomore Class Secretary Dan Radka said, “If students would like a more elaborate senior prom, they have to understand that it will require a larger down payment, which means that we cannot spend all of our money on the junior prom down payment. ” Sophomore class officers have decided to use Water’s Edge as the venue of choice for the Class 2019’s Junior Prom

Despite this, the budget for prom is still expensive, and the class officers have been working hard on fundraising to decrease ticket prices. In the beginning of the year, they sold t-shirts and blankets, which was successful, but there is still more money to raise.

On Tuesday, March 21st, the 2019 class officers held a meeting in the auditorium. The officers presented the prom venue and the cost. They estimated that the cost will be at or around $70.00 (subject to change). The officers also sent out a survey for students using google forms to vote on the menu at prom and to sign up for the prom committee. “We have a large number of students interested in joining the prom committee, which is a very good thing,” said Dan. The prom committee is in charge of decorations for prom, favors, DJ, photobooth, etc.

If you are a sophomore, make sure you fill out the prom survey that was emailed to you by your class officers on Tuesday, and if you are interested in being on the prom committee make sure you check the box on the survey. Also, make sure you participate in class fundraisers like purchasing class merchandise when it is on sale and buying popcorn at Swoosh for Change on Friday to support the Class of 2019!