Kiara Brings Christmas Cheer

Written by Autumn Johnson |

Each year, Junior Kiara Lopez runs a fundraiser for New Britain’s Hospital for Special Care. About five years ago, Kiara had a brain tumor that ruptured. After three weeks of being in the hospital, she got transferred to New Britain’s Hospital for Special Care.

She was in the hospital for five months and the whole left side of her body was paralyzed, and she had to re-learn how to do everything. She started this fundraiser to give children in the hospital a better Christmas, one filled with joy and happiness.xmas fundraiser

She is looking for donations such as two set pajamas (for children/babies), blankets, socks, toys, or anything that a kid would like to receive for the holidays.

Kiara expressed that her favorite part of this event is, “Seeing the happy smiles on all the kids’ faces.” Her goal for this year is to “give the kids in the hospital more of a Christmas feel like they’re in Santa’s workshop.”

Principal Keri Hagness is excited and feels that “her idea is a wonderful way to help others and inspire other acts of kindness.” She also thinks that “the best thing we can be at Morgan is kind.”

Social Worker Maureen Tranquilli who has been working with Kiara for three years states that “Kiara has asked for her assistance this year with this project and possibly future projects of giving back.”

Since Kiara personally delivers these items to the hospital, she is looking for volunteers to help bring the donations to the hospital, and she is also looking for people to help by dressing up as elves, reindeer, or a Mrs. Clause.

All donations are due by December 21st at the latest! If you have any questions please contact Kiara Lopez or Mrs. Tranquilli. Thank you for donating to such a special cause!