Coop Goes D1

Written by Emily Sordo and Lindsay Harden |
Photos by Lindsay Harden |

Morgan’s finest, Senior Cooper Thompson, committed to Sacred Heart University last week, on Wednesday, November 29th in a ceremony in The Morgan School Learning Commons. Cooper signed his Letter of Intent to play Division 1 baseball. This was a dream come true for him.

One special moment about this signing was the tremendous support from Cooper’s friends. At least ten of his teammates and friends left their class to be there for this special moment with him. He was also accompanied by his mother and aunt.

Senior Matt Capece, one of Cooper’s good friends said “I’m really excited and proud of him. He’s put in all the hard work. It’s pretty amazing.” Another teammate and pal, Senior Drew Walton said “I’m really proud of him for signing and going D1. He’s really excited.” Senior, Hannah Gaudet, one of Coop’s bffs, said “He deserves it and wanted this so bad. I’m so glad he gets to pursue his love for baseball for the next four years. I’m really proud of him.”

Friend and teammate Senior Aidan Esposito gave a very heartfelt testament to his friendship and admiration for Cooper: “Coop going D1 is incredible. I’m super proud of the kid. I’ve been playing with him since I was four, back in T ball. It’s crazy how much he’s grown and how mature he’s gotten, and the baseball player he’s become. It’s really awesome to be able to play with him and even better to catch for him. I’m really excited to see what the future holds for him because he’s got a really bright future. I’m proud of him.”

Sacred Heart University, located in Fairfield, Connecticut, is the ideal location for Cooper. He wanted to be somewhere close to home. His interest in Sacred Heart started sophomore year and has continued to grow even more now that he will be attending in the fall. 

Leading the Huskies to the Class S finals in the last two seasons as pitcher, Cooper is excited to leave his legacy at Morgan and continue it at Sacred Heart.