The 2012 Fall Coffeehouse

Ethan+Rode
Ethan Rode

Written by Lucas Edwards|

Pictures by Spencer Gilbert|

This past weekend of the 17th, we had our 4th semi-annual Malone’s Coffeehouse Open mic, and it went great! We featured a lot of new players, as well as a lot of returning artists. It was a very successful fundraiser for the senior class, making $365, and we also got to eat delicious baked goods while listening to some great tunes. This year we saw a lot of new faces! I was excited to see people of all grades getting up to the mic and playing despite nerves. Andrew Tessman and Eric Peterson played a great cover of The General by Dispatch, and Miranda Richard played both piano and ukulele solo, covering a lot of songs, even some Ingrid Michaelson. Introducing people to music, and giving those already loving it a chance to perform in a really nice environment is the focus of the event. The senior class hosted the event, and as expected, our senior class brought a lot of talent to the show! Caroline Best played a very cool cover with only a cup for percussion, and her voice acapella. Ethan Rode, and Lenny Paul played some great songs from Jack White, Mumford and Sons, Jack Johnson, Ed Sheeran, Iron & Wine, and many more! I (Lucas Edwards) played some material from The Fray, Foo Fighters, Bayside, as well as some original material. We also had some AWESOME original poetry from Lyndsey Robinson, and Katie Baisden! Spencer Gilbert took all of the pictures, and also played some sweet covers.  The Coffeehouse is also becoming a great community event;  in addition to current Morgan students, recent alumni often play and attend because of its proximity to Thanksgiving! Casey Marsh graced us all with some great ukulele covers, and many alumni came to watch.

Remember, the Coffeehouse is SEMI-ANNUAL so if you missed it this time, we will be having another one around February. Don’t miss out on your opportunity to see your peers (and perhaps yourself??) playing on the floor. Play solo, or get a group together, find a song you love, and play it with passion! We are always excited to see you play!

Check out these great pictures from Spencer!

[slideshow]

• L

Lucas EdwardsNov 30, 2012 at 8:04 am

my pictures are classic. Completely typical image of me on stage hahaha