Sealing the Deal on the New Morgan

Written By Sofia Sicignano|

On the night of Thursday, November 10, Morgan was buzzing with energy. Teams of Morgan students and teachers alike were gathering to set up for the eighth grade Open House and the club fair that followed.

Right on time, a frenzy of Eliot students streamed into Morgan accompanied by their parents. There was an air of excitement and nervousness as the night kicked off.

The large turnout was organized into three separate groups. The first group watched a video presentation created by Senior Lindsay Harden detailing the benefits of attending Morgan as well as a slide show presentation led by English Department Head Paul Serenbetz on the Legacy of Morgan.

The second group stayed in the cafeteria and learned about Morgan 3.0. Science and Math Department Head Chris Luther divulged information on the STEP program over the summer for incoming freshman, the new technology in the new school, advisory and mentoring, and many of the support systems that Morgan has set up, including our guidance counselors, our school psychologist, and school social worker.

The last group was stationed in the gym. This presentation was geared toward the clubs, sports, and other after-school activities that are offered here at Morgan.

After all the presentations, attendees took tours of the school.  There was an opportunity to visit the club fair that was taking place in the upper hub. I represented the Morgan PawPrint at the fair and got a lot of feedback from prospective students and parents on how impressed they were with not only the club fair but the night as a whole. What a majority of people liked most was the number of students who participated.

There was no shortage of student involvement. In charge of the introduction video was Senior Lindsay Harden and Senior Julia Zirkelbach. On the Building Our Legacy, the key people were Senior Julia Horan and Junior Gaby Bussiere.  At least 3o more students were involved with the Open House, and each and every person’s input helped the night run smoothly. 

The day after the Open House I spoke with many teachers who led the event. Mr. Luther said that he was “Pleased to see all the excited faces” and that he was looking forward to seeing each of the students who attended the event in the coming school year.

Principal Keri Hagness gave her input as well: “Overall I thought it was a huge success. We really wanted to offer an opportunity in the fall for parents and students to know what Morgan was all about before they made decisions on other options.” She too commented on the overall feedback from the parents on the open house: “The best part about it was that students developed and ran the sessions. Everyone was really appreciative for all the work that they did.”

World Language Department Head Laura Luther mentioned that it was nice to see all the students and staff come together to put on such a lovely event.