Be a Game Changer

Written by Autumn Johnson and MacKenzie Miller
Photos by MacKenzie Miller and Kim Inglis |

Former NBA player Chris Herren will be coming to town in October. He created a movement called THP Project Purple. Herren will be speaking about the harsh reality of drug abuse and addiction. He will use his personal experiences to send a very important message to the teens and adults in the town of Clinton.

Friends of Clinton Youth and Family Services is throwing a “Hot Shot Tournament” which is a basketball game for Eliot students. This event will be held September 27th, 6-9pm in the Morgan gym. Anyone is welcome to attend this event. The entrance fee is  $5.00. Assistant Principal Tyler Webb mentioned “It’s more impactful for a school like ours, where we are already involved in lots of activities because the students are all motivated and care.”

Morgan is very enthusiastic for the arrival of Herren. When asked if they were excited for Herren’s arrival, Spanish Teacher, Laura Luther stated, “Oh my God, yes. I think the community will be inspired by his message!” and Paraprofessional Sue Cockley stated, “It’s a great opportunity for the kids to be aware that drugs affect everyone. It doesn’t matter who you are. You can be the richest or the poorest person. Hopefully, Chris Herren will change people’s minds and lives.”

Morgan will also be having a spirit week the week leading up to Chris Herren’s inspirational speech. Spirit week will be starting September 30th and ending with a purple out on October 6th. Principal Keri Hagness expressed her excitement: “I think that given the pressures facing young people today that it’s important for someone to address the topic in such a way that students may be able to benefit. And even if it impacts one student, that’s enough for me.”

Chris Herren will be speaking at Morgan on October 6th, at 12:30pm. He will speak to the Clinton community the same night, at 7:00pm in the Morgan gym. The following day, October 7th, he will be speaking at Jared Eliot Middle School at 9:00am.