Chorus- 30yrs of music with John Lampe

Written by Tiana Chrans|

On Tuesday, May 3rd at 7:30 pm at The Morgan School Gagnon Auditorium Choral teacher John Lampe brought the audience out for one last exuberant choral performance in the old Morgan. This performance celebrated Mr. Lampe’s  thirty long years of performances at Morgan. Though in typical John Lampe fashion, this concert was far more glamorous than any normal Spring Choral Concert. This concert allowed Mr. Lampe celebrate thirty years as the choral director, from 1986-2016. Mr. Lampe asked alumni throughout the years to join him in this show, several put on performances or sang solos with the choir. The concert featured some special guests: Katrina Potts, Jennifer Russo, Samuel Tucker, Seth Greenlaw. These alumni  also held an acapella performance.

John Lampe has made quite an impact on many students in his many years of teaching. Mr. Lampe is not only a teacher but a friend and an inspiration. As the Choral director and Musical director he helps many students come out of their shell, build confidence, and embrace their love for music and the arts. Senior Santiago Hebert reported that his favorite thing about Mr. Lampe is “How he’s so enthusiastic and how he involves students in ways he hasn’t seen in the past with other music instructors. cares for his students a lot.” Senior Sam Pansa reported that her favorite thing about Mr. Lampe was his old mullet.

chorus ensemble with lampe

Santiago Hebert has been in chorus for his junior and senior years at Morgan. He has also had music appreciation, sang with Mr. Lampe during his lunch periods, and has done the past three musicals. He says that these activities have had a large, positive impact on his personal and social lives. Santiago said that Mr. Lampe “inspired him and gave him courage to open up and make friends and be confident with his voice and chorus.” Sam Pansa has been in the Morgan Chorus all four years. She has also been in Musical Theater class and the 2015 and 2016 Morgan Musical Productions. They both agreed that their favorite thing about chorus is the community  and being in a group of loving, fun people who are also passionate about music.

chorus pamphlet

John Lampe is pleased as ever with the outcome of his final concert at the old Morgan. He is always proud of the hard work his chorus students produce, “Out of the 10 numbers, 2 are sung by a chamber chorus of students who have exhibited above average talent and dedication to Choral singing.” Mr. Lampe reported. For this concert Mr. Lampe chose selections that were some of his favorite pieces over the last 30 years, like Sing Me to Heaven, Jubilant Song, and Jenny Rebecca.  Mr. Lampe’s next performance will be in the new Morgan auditorium.

The show was concluded by inviting the Morgan Chorus Alumni to come up to the risers and sing along to You Raise Me Up. These Alumni were also his top singers from 1995-1999.