Inspiring the Youth: Husky Style

Written by Amanda Thompson |
Photos by Amanda Thompson |

With all the changes next year at the new Morgan School comes many new opportunities as well! The new Morgan Leadership program is aimed to refine and develop the leadership skills of Morgan Students.

Students  in The Morgan Leadership program will research, design and implement various projects. Junior Lindsay Harden described the program as “mainly doing stuff for advisory” such as writing curriculum. Reading books on leadership is another activity students in this program will undertake.

Assistant Principal Tyler Webb depicted the program as an “opportunity for students to talk about the challenges of leadership” and have an “increased student role in what The Morgan School is all about.” Because the program is so demanding, the administration  suggests that students considering applying to the program have a study built into their schedule.

The leadership program will meet as a group once a week during X Block to discuss the goals and objectives for the upcoming week. For the rest of the one credit class,  students must manage their time accordingly.

One concerned student stated the program is a “good idea, but it annoyingly motivates people not to take AP classes so that they can have a study.” Students may compromise taking an extra AP class, in which they could potentially earn college credit, to have extra time for the leadership academy.IMG_9799

Students seem less than thrilled about the selective process. One student, who asked to remain anonymous, made the accusation that the school “has the blinders on when it comes to leadership.” Many people feel frustrated that only a selective group of people are continuously asked to participate in leadership activities. The application for this program, however,  is available to all sophomore and junior students at The Morgan School.

The application and further information is available on the Morgan School website and is due on Friday March 11th, 2016.  Every current sophomore and junior may apply.

The application consists of four short answer questions, two mandatory essays, an additional third optional essay, and a letter of recommendation.  Good luck to all students who apply to this new leadership opportunity.

[polldaddy poll=9329650]