Talented Indoor Track and Field Team Heads To Shorelines

Written by Meghan Lindsay |
    Photos by Amber Vuilleumier |

Coming off of an extremely successful regular season, The Morgan School Indoor Track and Field Team is prepared and excited to participate in Shorelines. With a talented varsity roster, ranging from new freshmen to returning seniors, Morgan’s Indoor Track Team has about 50 athletes qualified to compete in this year’s tournament.

Among this year’s competitors, The Morgan School is represented in all four relay events, with both boys’ and girls’ teams competing. For the female events, Morgan is competing with three brand IMG_0524new teams: the 4×200 meter (Savannah Skidmore, Courtney Viglione, Kate Mozzochi, and Mikayla Mancini), the 4×800 meter (Kate Daley, Lizzie Granfield, Allie Gardner, and Courtney Carroll), and the Sprint Medley (Julia Zirkelbach, Courtney Viglione, Catlen Goss, and Courtney Carroll), along with a fourth returning relay team, the 4×400 meter (Kate Mozzochi, Julia Zirkelbach, Courtney Carroll, and Catlen Goss).

Along with their four female relay teams, Morgan is competing in the 1600 meter, 3200 meter, 1000 meter, 600 meter, 300 meter, 55 meter dash, and 55 meter hurdle races. With Granfield and Madison Garbinski running the 1600 m; Daley running the 3200 m; Gardner, Issy Ranaudo, Sophia Dowd, MaryKate Staunton running the 1000 m; Madison Emmi, Erin Lindsay, and Olivia McCray running the 600 m; Goss, Alex Church, Hannah Zirkelbach, Hannah Scarpace, and Georgia Nye running the 300 m; Mancini, Lindsay, Nye, Sophie Roman, Mackenzie Anderson, Erin LeViness, and Jordan McMillan, running the 55 m dash; Mozzochi, Mancini, Nye, McCray, McMillan, Olivia Powers, Alyssa Robinson, and Halle DiCrosta running the 55 m hurdles, The Morgan Girl’s track team plans to rise to the challenge and compete their hardest for the Shoreline Title.

IMG_0469Unlike the girls however, the Morgan Boy’s Track Team is competing with one brand new team: the 4×800 m relay (Albert Viglione, Thomas Southwood, Brett Martin, and Michael Fiorillo), while their three other relays, the 4×200 m (Juan Avila, Mateo Zumpano, Calvin Jackson, and Justin Navarra), the 4×400 m (Justin Navarra, Mateo Zumpano, Calvin Jackson, and Burton Caldwell), and the Sprint Medley (Juan Avila, Justin Navarra, Mateo Zumpano, and Albert Viglione) are comprised of returning athletes.

The Morgan Boy’s also plan to compete in the 1600 m, the 1000 m, the 600 m, the 300 m,IMG_0560 the 55 m dash, and the 55 m hurdle races. With Viglione and Andrew Passante running the 1600 m; Southwood, Fiorillo, Martin, and Justin Mucha running the 1000 m; Sam Shapiro and Nate Hornyak running the 600 m; Sam Hauser, Erik Maertz, and Jhan Bermeo running the 300 m; Maertz, Bermeo, Hauser, Joey Vecchi, Sam Dailey, Andrew Lucas, Matt Koziy, Joey Piacentini, and Ryan Caldwell running the 55 m dash; and Anes Gadun running the 55 m hurdles, the Morgan boys hope to be just as successful as the girls and bring the Shoreline Title back to Morgan.

With plenty of talent, a fantastic regular season, and a supportive coaching staff, including Mike Underwood, Alyssa Bannon, and Jared Stevens, The Morgan School Indoor Track and Field Team plans to compete in the Shoreline Championship Tournament on February 6, 2016, in the hopes of bringing home several Shoreline Titles.