Freshmen Failures

Freshmen+Failures

Written by Meg Falcone and Marissa D’Aniello|

Each year new class presidents are elected to guide our class to make the four years of our high school career the best experience possible. The freshmen class officers are President Michael Menacho, Vice President Ella FranIMG_9521zoni, Public Relations Rachel Flanagan, and Secretary Erin Lindsay. The class representatives’ job is to organize fundraisers to help pay for events such as junior and senior prom. Students in each grade are encouraged to participate in the fundraisers.

The advisors of the freshmen class are Instructional Assistant Susan Cockley, and Special Education teacher Lynn Butkus. The advisors agree that the freshman class has not been trying their hardest, but they also think they need more student body participation. 

The freshmenFreshmen Mike Menacho said, " It was rough the first few weeks with the heat but it's good now, I'm getting used to everything." class meetings are held after school on Mondays from 2:30pm- 3pm, and all of the class meetings are Wednesday before school at 7:10am. Any and all students are welcome to go to these events to support their class.

It is almost the new year and still the freshmen class has not been playing their part. The freshmen attempted to raise money by selling freshmen shirts. Unfortunately, the sales for these shirts did not go as well as planned. Our class president shared the current issues that occur while trying to come up with these fundraisers. Some of the issues involve getting people to participate.

One of two fundraisers that our class officers have been working on are the candy cane grams. This fundraiser started December 14, 2015 and ran until December 18, 2015. So far the class officers have not been able to persuade their class to help. The plan was to hand them out only during 3rd lunch because they were unable to get people to sit at the front table and hand out flyers or collect orders instead they changed it so that students can drop their order off anytime in room 33 which is located across the library. The candy canes were distributed Tuesday, December 22 during advisory.

If you want to help the freshmen class you can attend the meetings, and/or try to help the struggling freshmen volunteers by  attending events or participating in fundraisers. You can help make a difference.