Morgan Ultimate is Really Going to “Send It” This Year

Written by Calvin Jackson|

Morgan alumni Spencer Gilbert wrote the article Ultimate Frisbee: New at The Morgan School back in October of 2012. In the article, he explains that Ultimate is new to Morgan, but is already one of the fastest growing sports in the world. This is all still true. Ultimate Frisbee has reached huge heights in worldwide popularity. It is likely to be added to the Summer Olympic Games if all goes accordingly to plans.

In 2012, the group originally started out with just 6 guys, but by the end of that season, it had  20 committed players. This year Ultimate Frisbee is offered as a club here at Morgan. Senior Sam Shapiro is one of the Ultimate veterans here at Morgan. He and Sophomore Wyatt Reu are both avid leaders in the club. They hope to create games or scrimmages against other schools this season. In the past at Morgan, Ultimate has solely been played within only our school. That means we would scrimmage against each other but never go up against other schools.

frisbee
Regulation frisbee (175 grams) used for Ultimate

For the future, members of the club are big on creating a Morgan Ultimate team. This would mean that the team captains would help to arrange matches against other teams from around the state. Advisers for the Morgan Ultimate Club are mathematics teacher Paige Trusty and physical education teacher Peter Gersz. The club has around 60 total members that have signed up. The club consists of some of Morgan’s top athletes. One of the participants in the club is Sophomore Morgan Soccer captain Juan Avila. Juan voiced, “I chose ultimate because it is thrilling to play and is very popular as an active way to have a good time among my friends.”

Ultimate Frisbee is a very difficult sport to excel in. It combines the athletic abilities and talents of many other sports all at once. Juan explained, “Ultimate can be very competitive, and I like competition. It’s not easy to do. There’s skill that is needed from other sports that really come into great use while playing ultimate frisbee.” He described the athletic abilities that would help out when competing in Ultimate. “It is a collective combination of jumping, sprinting and running, great agility, and keen coordination.”

We have no limit on the number of students who wish to join the Ultimate Club. It is a terrific way to keep in shape and stay healthy. It is also a huge bonding experience between friends and classmates. All are welcome, so if anyone wishes to participate in either the club at school or the weekend scrimmages,  contact any of the advisers or any of the club members.