Sound Tigers Adventure!

Written by Vivian Tran|

Photography by The Morgan Pawprint|

sound tigers

Journalism, junior English students, and business students went on a school field trip to the Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport to the  Game and Sports Seminar: Scoring Goals for College and Career. What an opportunity for students!

The program began with three speakers from the sports industry talking to students about careers in sports, how to get into sports, and what the day to day operations of a sports career is like. The speakers also took questions and asked students to answer questions. Even though this was a sports seminar, baseball coach Josh advised “You don’t have to be an athlete to have doors open up for you. Love what you do. Don’t have a job; have a career.”  Another speaker Byron mentioned the importance of sports marketing and how data is huge. He shared an advertising video for the Sound Tigers.  He pointed out how the video focused for a second on the Sandy Hook logo on the back of a player’s helmet. The video pumped people up to pull their interest into the Sound Tigers. The speakers informed students that they must work for their goals; they have to work hard. There is no rest. These speakers were very inspirational.

Over 750 high school students participated in this valuable learning experience. Since there were tables with representatives from local colleges, students could speak to the representatives to learn about local colleges/universities such as Fairfield University, Scared Heart, Albertus Magnus, Quinnipiac, University of New Haven, and Post University. Students interested in sports related careers could learn about classes or programs offered in marketing, sports management, accounting, general business, audio/visual, journalism, athletic training, DECA, and FBLA.

After the seminar, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers played against the Springfield Falcons!

sound tigers

During the game there was the big screen featuring students from all over Connecticut from elementary to high school students. People won prizes such as a certificate for a two night stay at the Days Inn and t-shirts. Max Bugg won two t-shirts for answering questions. Then during half time there was a rally when free t-shirts were thrown at the audience. Mitch Nedderman and Anthony Schettio participated in a competition with each other, riding a tricycle around the rink. This was an unforgettable experience for students!