She’s the First

Read by candle light and watched TV

Written by Sophie Roman |

As you walk through the school hallways on a Monday you’ll probably hear complaints about how tired students are, how they do not want to be at school, or how much homework they had over the weekend. This is typical of all high school students at Morgan. It’s normal for us to say these comments; everyone can relate. But what we’ve forgotten is how we’ve taken our education for granted. In other countries, girls don’t have the same opportunities as we do. They don’t have the choice to go to school. Going to school if you are a female is a privilege in places such as Ethiopia, Guatemala, India, Kenya, Nepal, Peru, South Sudan, Tanzania, The Gambia, and Uganda.

That’s where She’s the First makes a difference. She’s the First is a non-profit organization based in Manhattan Borough of New York City, New York sponsors girls’ education in developing countries,through creative fundraisers. This organization boosts leadership of students in the US through social media.Screen Shot 2014-10-29 at 1.54.54 PM

Juniors Maina Carey and Maggie Lacross found this fundraiser and decided to use their leadership to make a difference. “It’s just for a really good cause,” said Lacross, “and most girls, even teens in general, don’t realize how lucky they are to have the ability to attend school. We thought it would be a fun way to bring awareness to the issue while raising money.”

Lacross and Carey will be selling tye-dye cupcakes for two dollars after school today, and at the girl’s soccer semi final Shoreline game tonight, October 29, 2014, on the turf at 5:30. The money will go to the She’s the First organization.

• M

madisonheidkampNov 6, 2014 at 2:05 pm

I think that this is an awesome program headed towards a wonderful cause. I think that it is tremendously important for every child to have the opportunity to go to school and learn. Keep up the awesome work, this is a special idea.

• M

mmcdermott2014Nov 6, 2014 at 2:02 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about this cause, what they do for girls educations in other countries is truly special!

• M

mayakadelNov 6, 2014 at 1:38 pm

I think that the program “She’s the First” is a great programs going torwards a good cause. The tie-dye cupcakes are very creative!