Husky Wrestling Growing in Numbers and Pride

By Elizabeth Bradley|

Morgan Husky Wrestlers after a long two days at the Class S States.

On Friday, February 21st, the Morgan Wrestling team checked into its hotel room to compete in Class S States at Windham High School. Morgan would be facing schools like Terryville, Montville, Nonnewaug, Derby, Haddam-Killingworth, Gilbert, Enfield, Holy Cross, as well as many others.

The Morgan wrestling team has grown to about 22 students, but not only have they grown in numbers, the team has grown significantly in skill. Last year two Morgan seniors placed fifth in Class S states and continued on to State Opens. This year four young Huskies are continuing on to State Opens, none of whom are seniors. Sophomore, Sharone Foster, placed sixth in the 106 lb. weight class. junior, Chris Seales, placed fourth in the 285 lb. weight class, and junior, Greg Lee placed fourth in the 182 lb. weight class. Lastly sophomore, Nick Bradley, placed third in the 145 lb. weight class. All four wrestlers will continue on to State Opens Friday February 28th and Saturday March 1st at Floyd Little Athletic Center in New Haven, CT.

I asked junior wrestler, Dwight Carmona, “What was the best part of Class S States?” He said, “Gaining experience and being able to mentally prepare myself for next season. Also we were one of the top teams, and there is no better feeling than that.” Last year Morgan placed eleventh in the Class S states and this year Morgan placed ninth. I also asked sophomore, Nick Bradley, the same question. He responded, “The best part of states, personally, was the feeling I got after getting my hand raised.”