Close Up: Chance of a Lifetime

Me and Granny

Written by: Riley Cronan and Kevin Moran|

During their Sophomore year, seniors Matt Granfield (left) and Riley Cronan (right) went on a trip to our nation’s capital that would change how they look at our government forever. Close Up: Washington D.C is an organization that provides an informative, hands-on view of our nation’s politics. Whether they’re in a meeting with state representatives such as Joe Courtney and Richard Blumenthal or sitting in on a session of congress, students discover every aspect of national level government.

Students are given a perfect opportunity to become more independent than most any other experience can provide.  Mr. Graham shared the same feeling when he said, “What Close Up does is educate you with a new sense of awareness, and it really gives you a new outlook on everything as far as government.  The best part is when you come back, you realize you have just completed what could be equivalent to a college credit course and can actually receive credit from the University of Virginia.”   Close up is very special because it does not only give students a new look to the outside world but also to themselves and what they’re able to do. 

When asked what he thought was most beneficial to our education, senior Matt Granfield said, “I think the day we went to Capitol Hill was the most benefiting to our education, it was cool to walk around and see how everything worked.”  Senior Tyler Bynington, who is new to the program said, “I’m looking forward the most to seeing various places in D.C. that are of historical significance.”  Tyler will undoubtedly get his wish because the Close Up program visits everywhere  from the Lincoln Memorial to the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, to the World War II Memorial and many more. 

A new aspect that Mr. Graham is hoping to incorporate is getting a tour of the White House, an experience not many people are able to have.  This would be a new and extremely unique experience in our own personal Close Up program that would truly set up a once in a lifetime experience for our students.

All in all, the Washington D.C. Close Up trip is once again shaping up to be quite a memorable experience for all of the students going on the trip.  They will be able to explore our nation’s capital and learn brand new aspects of our nation’s government that had never before been open to their eyes.  The students will be able to gain a new sense of independence that can help prepare them for future experiences just like college that will challenge them on their own.  The Washington D.C. Close Up program is definitely going to be one of the highlights for this school year. For more information on the Close Up trip, click here